cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event Log polling issue in 20.x and 21.x client for Windows

Event Log polling issue in 20.x and 21.x client for Windows

thebertster
Explorer | Level 4

I have noticed that the 20.x (stable) and 21.x (beta) releases for Windows have introduced a behaviour which is causing an issue with Windows power management. After upgrading to 20.4.19, I noticed that my PC was no longer automatically going to sleep on idle.

After investigating, it seems that in these releases, the client is making a network IPC request to read the local machine's Event Log every 120 seconds. These requests go over the loopback interface via the Windows SMB server (RPC/DCE over SMB). As a result, this causes the Windows power manager to block the PC from entering sleep on idle due to a perceived "remote connection" to this PC:

>> powercfg /requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet
An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.

Running a netstat -n -o -b, the only connection seen on port 445 was on the IPv6 loopback interface, and was associated with the System process (PID 4), indicating it is probably the result of a kernel function call.

Pinning down what the connections were required a packet capture on the loopback interface (using npcap rather than WinPCap). The requests are reads of the System Event Log and are likely the result of a call to OpenEventLog specifying "localhost" as the first parameter (computer name) rather than NULL (or in PyWin32, "None") which should read the Event Log via internal IPC rather than DCE/RPC over the network. The packet capture clearly shows the Event Log being read exactly every 120 seconds.

After eliminating a few other possible culprits (I had upgraded/installed a few pieces of software between when I knew sleep was last working and when I noticed it had stopped), it turned out to be being caused by the DB client.

When the desktop client is exited, the polling requests cease (and after about 3 minutes of no requests being received by the SMB server, the Power Manager releases the lock request and the client is able to sleep on idle again). As soon as the desktop client is restarted though, the polling resumes and continues every 120 seconds, effectively completely blocking the PC from being able to sleep on idle.

Checking the behaviour of older clients (e.g. 19.4.13, which I was running prior to updating to 20.4.19), I only see a single request to read the Event Log immediately after the client starts (or at least if it is polling, it is doing so much, much less frequently and so does not prevent the client from sleeping).

I have reported this via the bug report form also, but as I am only a basic user, there's no interaction or way to update the ticket. I've also notified @DropboxSupport via Twitter who have replied asking for a bit more info, so I will point them to this post.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Event Log polling issue in 20.x and 21.x client for Windows

David E.
Dropboxer
16 Replies 16

AKSimpson
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem on Win 7 64Bit.

David E.
Dropboxer

thebertster
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there,

Yes, can confirm that 21.3.23 seems to resolve the issue and I can no longer see the client querying the event log using DCE/RPC calls over SMB and the system can now suspend correctly.

Thanks for the swift resolution!

tno a.
Helpful | Level 6

21.3.23 Solves the problem for me, however, I would prefer not to use beta versions. How long do you estimate before a Stable release is put out?

Russ_H
Explorer | Level 4

I can also confirm that 21.3.24 fixes the problem. No more hold ups over \FileSystem\srvnet.

Will the beta installation automatically upgrade to a stable build when a new one is released? or do I have to reinstall stable?

David E.
Dropboxer

Yes.  Installing the beta manually will keep you in the beta until it becomes stable.

Russ_H
Explorer | Level 4

@David E. wrote:

Yes.  Installing the beta manually will keep you in the beta until it becomes stable.

Thanks for the quick update, and thanks for getting this fixed.

marvf
Explorer | Level 4

Due to the sleeping issue, I just installed the beta per the link above and got an "installation failed" dialog box. However, the dropbox icon shows the version as 21..3.24. I now have two "dropbox (32 bit)" processes showing in taskmgr with only one of the two showing a little green "checkmark." I also have a process for "dbxsvc" indented under "dropbox service." Is it normal to have two dropbox (32 bit) processes showing?

Although the install process did bring up a user access control box to provide an admin password, I'll try one more time doing this from an admin cmd window.

marvf
Explorer | Level 4

I realized that for an offline install I probably should uninstall the current version first, so I did that, and the beta install has completed with no error box this time. Still have two dropbox (32 bit) processes running however as well as the dropbox service showing up in taskmgr.

@marvf wrote:

Due to the sleeping issue, I just installed the beta per the link above and got an "installation failed" dialog box. However, the dropbox icon shows the version as 21..3.24. I now have two "dropbox (32 bit)" processes showing in taskmgr with only one of the two showing a little green "checkmark." I also have a process for "dbxsvc" indented under "dropbox service." Is it normal to have two dropbox (32 bit) processes showing?

Although the install process did bring up a user access control box to provide an admin password, I'll try one more time doing this from an admin cmd window.

@marvf wrote:

@marvf wrote:

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rox Explorer | Level 3
    marvf Explorer | Level 4
    tno a. Helpful | Level 6
    volkeru Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?