cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ExFat File System Support

ExFat File System Support

CLU_the_Luminary
Explorer | Level 3

Hello

I was using Dropbox with 2TB plan on Windows, but I did not have a local Hard Drive to sync Dropbox 2TB data. Therefore I attached an external USB Hard Drive pf 3TB and placed my Dropbox folder in that external HDD. Everything was working fine.

Two months ago I purchased Macbook, and then I installed Dropbox and attached my external HDD, and to my surprise, it was not syncing with my HDD because my HDD was on NTFS file system. The Dropbox desktop application suggested me to use macOS file systems. Now the problem was to re-format my external HDD on MacOS filesystem. To transfer data from one platform to another, I needed a filesystem that works on both, i.e. ExFat. I copied my HDD data to another PC (because MacBook does not have large internal storage), then I format my external USB HDD on ExFat, I copied back the data from PC to newly formatted USB HDD. Then I thought it will work because ExFat is supported by Macbook and PC both. But, to my surprise again, the Dropbox desktop app on macOS still not accepting the ExFat USB HDD. It is telling me to format my HDD on MacOS format. Now the thing is, to move around data, I need to have a filesystem on my external HDD that is compatible on both platforms. For this, I need the Dropbox to work with ExFat filesystem too. In the meantime, my yearly subscription expired in October 2020. I did not renew it because first I wanted to make sure that I will be able to sync my Dropbox with my external HDD. But it is not working, please help me solve this problem so that I subscribe to Dropbox again and continue syncing like before.

1 Reply 1

Re: ExFat File System Support

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@CLU_the_Luminary wrote:
... But it is not working, please help me solve this problem so that I subscribe to Dropbox again and continue syncing like before.

Hi @CLU_the_Luminary,

Seems that will never happen (or not soon, at least). Have you seen one very very long thread started last year? 🤷 For some reason Dropbox introduced the limitation and refuses review it. Better look for another service, if FS compatibility is critical for your work.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?