cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Excel Preview Date Format

Helpful | Level 5

Hey Guys,

I've got one excel file that when I open it in the dropbox app, to preview it, shows all of the dates as the serialised numbers that excel stores them in.

Is there any way to view the dates as actual dates, I've tried adjusting the formatting of the cells - to date or custom, and neither seems to work.

Rather weirdly on the second sheet of the document, where I have calculated dates, they show up perfectly in the iOS Dropbox Preview - I'm a little bit confused as to what the issue would be. Again these cells are formatted as "Date".

Thanks

19 Replies 19
Highlighted

Re: Excel Preview Date Format

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @3guk

Could you please clarify if you’re the preview isn’t consistent through the desktop app or another mobile app? Are you seeing this occur with another excel file or is it just that one? Could it be a shared file? 

Any additional info would be very helpful so as to have a better image of what your concern. Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Lusil,

When I open the same file through the dropbox web interface to preview it on my mac the dates show correctly. When I open the same file through the dropbox app on my iphone the dates show as "serialised numbers". I've attached images below:

Screenshot 2018-11-27 at 10.59.22.jpgIMG_A88A9E855DB5-1.jpeg

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for your swift reply and for the screenshots, @3guk!

Hmm. Could you try closing the file from website and from the mobile app, after ensuring that you have set the formatting as Date on the appropriate column, and then re-open the file after a few seconds? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Sadly it doesn't appear to fix anything, I've tried various date formats, and even changing between UK and USA regions to see if that helps, but nothing....

Interestingly if I click "open in excel" from the dropbox ios app - it displays perfectly, it would be great however if I didn't have to always do this extra step.

Thanks

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the additional info, @3guk, it definitely helps have a better understanding of your concern.

The view that you see is a preview we create using info from Apple. The preview system we use on the web is different, which is why the file previews via the website without an issue. This could also explain why, as you mention, when you tap the edit button and open the file in Excel on your phone, the file shows to be formatted correctly.

However, I do understand how important this is for you, so I’ve made sure to pass your comments along to the dev team for future review. 

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to get back to me. 

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I do have a similar problem. Previewing an excel in the DropboxApp on Android shows dates in MM-DD-YYYY. Opening this in excel shows DD-MM-YYYY and that is what I want. Mixing these two date formats is confusing and is a source of mistakes. Please help me in solving this.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @GertvdK, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

Just to make sure we're on the same page, are you previewing these Excel docs via the website or the mobile app? Do you get the same experience if you export it and preview it locally on your device? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

@Lusil Thanks for asking!

I am using the mobile app.

I exported the file. If I select the downloaded file it immediately opens excel (corrrectly), but I do not have or somehow bypass a previewmode. So I do not have the answer on your second question.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @GertvdK

I tried this out too, and I'm able to get the same date format I chose (when I edited the file locally on my computer) to show up on my mobile app. 

If you've made sure that the date format is correctly saved on your computer, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you open the file on your mobile app and the desktop app?

Lusil

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?