cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel crashes when opening large files

Excel crashes when opening large files

dpwiener
Explorer | Level 4

Upon opening large excel files the file opens then Excel immediately crashes. When I reopen Excel it shows the crashed file and asks if I want to open it ("Document Recovery-Excel has recovered the following files. Save the ones you wish to keep.") and I simply open that file from the recovery box and voila it opens.

Why do I think this is a Dropbox issue? Because if I take the file out of Dropbox and put it on my desktop and open it, it opens no problem--no crashing, no issues at all.

File is 19 MB in size. Excel 2016. Windows 10 Pro. File is .xlsx format. Running Dropbox 59.4.93 with files saved down onto my computer's drive.

Any thoughts? Help? Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Excel crashes when opening large files

Jay
Dropboxer
Just to clarify, Dropbox Professional does come with Smart Sync, could you confirm what plan you’re on exactly by visiting here?

Lastly, since it opens fine when the app is closed, would it be okay if we message you to the email address associated with your forum profile?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi there, are you on a Dropbox Professional or Business plan with Smart Sync enabled? If so, could you check if the file is online-only, or local?

If the former, could you try making the file local and then opening it while in the Dropbox folder? 

If you’re not using Smart Sync, or this doesn’t help, try closing the Dropbox desktop application and open the file again from the Dropbox folder.

If it still doesn’t open, then there isn’t an issue with Dropbox, and could be related to many different factors. One obvious one would be that the full filepath is longer than 218 characters, which Excel can’t open. Since moving it to the desktop folder worked, that filepath might be a lot shorter there.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dpwiener
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you. The file path is 117 characters.

I turned off Dropbox and it opened without a hitch. I am not using Smart Sync.

Thank you.

dpwiener
Explorer | Level 4

Ah, should have mentioned I am a Professional user/payer.

Jay
Dropboxer
Just to clarify, Dropbox Professional does come with Smart Sync, could you confirm what plan you’re on exactly by visiting here?

Lastly, since it opens fine when the app is closed, would it be okay if we message you to the email address associated with your forum profile?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

dpwiener
Explorer | Level 4
I’m afraid I’m headed to the airport. Can we resume tomorrow? And I am not using smart sync yet.

dpwiener
Explorer | Level 4

Jay. I have Plus account and a Business Advanced account. This file happens to sit in the Plus account, if that matters.

And yes, you can go ahead an email me directly. Back in my office now.

Thank you.

dpwiener
Explorer | Level 4

Just looked again. This file is in the Business Advanced account.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dpwiener Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?