cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel on Ipad Won't Save to Dropbox

Excel on Ipad Won't Save to Dropbox

Kreos
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am having an issue saving excel onto my dropbox folder from an iPad. I cannot duplicate this issue on my computer though. I run into the issue when trying to save an excel for iPad file into a folder. I get the error message: "That file name won't work because it includes invalid characters or it's too long. Please try a different name". I have tried multiples of different names and it still will not work. I find it odd that this is only an issue from the iPad and that I have saved an identical length name 20 minutes before this issue from the iPad. There is no issue uploading the excel sheet into the same folder with the same name from my Mac.

25 Replies 25

Twodomers
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It appears this issues still has not been resolved.  I can open an excel file in my Dropbox but once I am working on it, it will not upload the modified version.  I can also save a duplicate or new file to Dropbox from excel on my ipad but once I make modifications it will not upload the changes.  I have started using one drive and it seems to work a lot better.   I use Dropbox for most of my files, but your not leaving me much choice.  Please address.

RAM3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Same findings based on what you said—move it out of a shared folder—problem disappears.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey all, I’ve made sure to merge some different discussions mentioning issues with the Microsoft Office application, as it may need further investigation & we may need to follow-up more closely. 

If you’re sill experiencing any discrepancies with these two apps, please log a ticket with our team on our Official Support channel, so that you work with a colleague on a specific example: https://www.dropbox.com/support?ref=dropboxsupport & narrow down the possible causes. 

Once you write us, please include your ticket ID in your next post here, so that I look it up internally and make sure that a colleague gets on it as soon as possible. 

Thanks in advance & I'm looking forward to hearing back from you on this discussion! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

psachse60
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This fails 100% of the time.  The issue seems to be only with MS Office and only when you are modifying an exsiting file in Dropbox.  I have even seen cases of where the file will have an updated modified date, but the internal contents were unchanged.  Essentially, you have to rename the file every time you save it.   

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey psachse60, welcome to the Dropbox Community & thanks for posting here on the matter! 

You may keep in mind the issue is currently actively investigated here by Frank_S, who has been following all existing cases affected internally, though it appears that this has been resolved for some users. I’d happily look into that with you, though I’d just need a little more info: 

•  Initially, assuming that you’re running the latest version of the Dropbox application on your phone (82.2), can you also ensure you’ve installed all OS updates? Also, ensuring that you’re running the latest version of the third-party app, where you’re editing your files on your phone is also advisable. 
  • Secondly, could you include a step-by-step description of the behavior, so that I make sure to re-create on my end & understand what you’re experiencing? 

Thanks again & once we have this info, I’ll do my best to analyze the case with you! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

annietran
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm had the same issue with saving Word docs to Dropbox on my iPad Pro. When I tried to save the document from Word and select the Dropbox destination, the error message states "Can't Upload - you entered a name that won't work. Please avoid characters such as \ / : * ? " < > |". I am not entering any of these symbols. The file would save but the word doc would be empty. I tried this 5 times with different names.

How I solved it was by taking out the capital "I" (i) in the file name - as it looks the same as the other symbol. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

annietran Explorer | Level 3
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    psachse60 New member | Level 2
    RAM3 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?