cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel read only worksheets on ipad and spaceship

Excel read only worksheets on ipad and spaceship

Brett513
Explorer | Level 3

I have been using Dropbox to open, edit, and store excel worksheets on multiple desktops and laptops for years without issue. I bought an iPad, and installed Office 365. Working through the Dropbox app., I am not able to edit any of the excel files, they are read only, and all of the templates have a spaceship icon. Working through excel, I can find Dropbox in ‘other storage’ and open and edit the selected worksheet. When I try to save it to the appropriate folder it won’t give me the option to save. So, summary; spaceship icon (correct extension), read only, and won’t save. 

5 Replies 5

Re: Excel read only worksheets on ipad and spaceship

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Brett513, thanks for posting on the Community!

If you're seeing a spaceship icon, then it means it isn't a valid extension or file.

Could you doublecheck the extension of the entire file as it appears in the Dropbox mobile app, as well as the size of the file?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Brett513
Explorer | Level 3

The extension is .xltx and it is 112 KB. This is only an issue with the ipad or iphone. It does not have an issue on any of my Window's based computers.  I did read somewhere that saving it to a folder with more than 10,000 worksheets may be an issue, so that may explain why I can't save it to the desired folder, but even though I can save it to an empty folder, it is still read only.

Rich
Super User II

@Brett513 wrote:

The extension is .xltx and it is 112 KB. This is only an issue with the ipad or iphone.

You're trying to open an Excel Template file, which can only be opened as read-only on iPhone/iPad. This is an Excel issue and not related to Dropbox.

Brett513
Explorer | Level 3
I have Office 365 which works on the iPad. I can open Excel, select Dropbox storage, open and create a worksheet and save it on my iPad. It just won’t save to Dropbox in most of the folders, and the folders it will save to produces a read only copy in Dropbox.

Jay
Dropboxer

As @Rich stated, Excel template files cannot be edited via Dropbox.

Since you're not creating the Excel workbooks directly via the Dropbox app, this doesn't appear to be a Dropbox issue, but more to do with the Office app.

Additionally, are you using the direct Excel app which is supported by Dropbox, and not the Office app, which is different?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Brett513 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?