cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive file sync numbers on Windows 10 startup

Excessive file sync numbers on Windows 10 startup

SebastianSamuel
Explorer | Level 3

I have a co-worker who has a very large Dropbox account and they recently noticed that when they start there computer in the morning that there is an excessive amount [external link removed, as per the Community Guidelinesof files that are syncing >15000. There is no way that many files were changed overnight from when it was last synced, what would be the cause of something like that?

I just updated the client to the most recent version [external link removed, as per the Community Guidelinesand made all of there files online only to reduce how much space it was using [external link removed, as per the Community Guidelines] on there computer as it was using upwards of 300 GB + of storage which there was no reason to do.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

3 Replies 3

Re: Excessive file sync numbers on Windows 10 startup

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey @SebastianSamuel, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I’ll try to follow-up on you description as closely as possible; it would be great if you pinged them to our discussion here. 

• Can you ask them if they’ve stored a large number of files on said account? If so, what they’re seeing could be expected, since such Dropbox accounts may take longer to sync. 
  • Are they using Symlinks or referencing content outside Dropbox in any other way? 
  • They can also visit their Events page for a rough estimate of changed files. What can they see there?
Please let me know of your findings along the way & I’ll do my best to  further advise. Thanks & happy holidays!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

Jane, Doesn't a full reboot of a computer cause a compare of the local and cloud checksums for each file?  This would be noticable for lots of tiny files as it does not depend on file size.

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey @Rick M., that’s right!

Provided that the Dropbox app is set to launch automatically upon startup, it will begin by scanning what’s already been synced & then upload the missing bits. It would be interesting to see what the exact wording is (i.e. Indexing/Syncing) &/or check back whether it’s reasonable depending on the account activity. 

At this point, we’d have to wait for Sebastian’s update to further advise, however your follow-up question would definitely help paint a clearer picture. 

Happy holidays Rick! 

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here.

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?