cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Excluding folders in new Linux beta

Helpful | Level 5

I'm happy to see the new Linux beta of Dropbox that works with my file system. Its not clear, however, how I can selectively sync and exclude folders. The `dropbox exclude add` utility seems not to be present. Any ideas? I'd like to avoid syncing 100GB of backed up photos!

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Excluding folders in new Linux beta

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @fonnesbeck,

Since this version of the desktop app is currently only in beta, there isn't much I can suggest in terms of troubleshooting if you're not seeing the option to selectively sync folders. 

I've made sure to pass this along to our dev team for review for future improvement.

Thanks for bringing this up and I'll make sure to get back to you if I receive any updates - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @fonnesbeck,

I'm curious - Isn't available selective sync in GUI? Or if You use console only - installing the package or just set up Python script isn't it helpful?

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

As far as I can tell there is no GUI. Its just a daemon (dropboxd) that is started and runs in the background.

Highlighted

Ok. What I mean is: You can't control what to be excluded using only the starting script only. ('dropboxd' is just starting script - nothing more) If You want to control how the actual daemon work, You have to use a control script, either installed using deb or rpm package install or script setup by hand. If You don't use any control script, then can't control the Dropbox daemon! Are You use something like?

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Got it now. I downloaded the control script you linked to. There was no such script shipped with the beta; only the startup script. Thanks.

Highlighted

@fonnesbeck, Something more: If the only reason to use beta version is FS support, then You can use, a workaround like this. In such a way You can use stable version.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?