cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurFaceFormat' error message

Re: "Failed to create Opengl context"...

nano2
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, I posted the above Coretechnologies blog post - but unfortunately am still regularly getting the OpenGL error from Dropbox despite the SETX fix - so would appreciate someone from Dropbox (e.g. @Jane ?) please posting as to what the officially supported issue resolution is - or the process for me to open a ticket with Dropbox.  Really keen to get this resolved asap so it stops being a distraction from my daily work.  Many thanks in advance!

MarkM-S
Helpful | Level 5

Hi

I had the same problem with starting DB on my new laptop. I kept gettong the OpenGL error, so I uninstalled DB and reinstalled from the website. This made it worse as I couldn't then link to my DB account, plus I still got the openGL error. 

But, dropbox was running fine on a desktop machine and I checked the version number - it was later than the one I downloded from DB website! Then I realised that the desktop machine was running the beta preview version so I sought that out and did a clean install on my laptop. From then on, DB linked up and synced perfectly - problem solved.

Now, joining the beta programme to get the version that works (for me at least) is probably not to be regarded as a true 'fix' - at least until this version goes to a release. But here is a copy of the steps to get access (Support will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Log in to the dropbox website using your web browser.
  2. Click on you account picture/avatar at the top right corner of the page.
  3. Click on "Settings".
  4. From the "General" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and check the box next to "Include me in early releases".

I'm not sure whether there is a limit on participant in this program but it would be worth a try. Not being able to run DropBox on my laptop was becoming a major issue.

Good luck everyone!

PS I too has tried the fix to the environment settings without success. I'm not sure whether this is a necessary part of the solution or not. Personally I would suggest going straight for the beta rather than messing around with environment variables.

normfromga
Helpful | Level 5

Good news, so far-

For the last four or more days, I have not seen the error notice, and, per usual, my Dropbox still works.  I have done nothing consciously to remedy the problem since my last report other than run my Glary Utilities program, and allow ms to poke around my Win10.  Through all that auto-magic my Dropbox is now version 85.4.155.

I am not sure that my laptop has been "cured" but at least the bug is gone...for now.  I'll report back if it appears again.

Re: Cannot sign in to Dropbox 79.4.143 on Windows 10 1809

Nrichard
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Jane,

I have the same proble than @amigan

I reinstalled the latest graphics driver from Microsoft website and installed the Craphic card driver but I am still getting a blank screen. 

Capture.PNG

Re: Cannot sign in to Dropbox 79.4.143 on Windows 10 1809

MarkM-S
Helpful | Level 5

I had this problem but solved it by updateing to the latest dropbox version. I don't think that graphics drivers or environment variables made any difference. My version is currently 87.3.122 so it looks like you may be a few versions behind. Why not give updating a try?

Mark

Pat46
Explorer | Level 4

Hi all,

I have the same problem : Dropbox fails to start on my laptop, after a message about OpenGL.

I tried all methods : reinstalling Dropbox, updating drivers, environment variable. I tried also the last beta version. Nothing works.

Please give me a solution. I need Dropbox !

Many thanks !

Re: I'm seeing an error message "Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurFaceFormat"

sakshi09
Explorer | Level 3

I am getting the same error. Please help

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey @Nrichard & @Pat46, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

As you mentioned that you’ve already followed all our suggestions here, it would be more efficient if we continued through our support system from this point on @Pat46. I’ve just sent you a brief message to check back on the info I have on file on my tools for the device causing you trouble. 

I’ll be awaiting your next email there! 

Following @Nrichard, it would be great if you could give Mark’s suggestion a go as a possible fix. We’ve been working via ticket & he managed to solve that with the Beta version, so his suggestion maybe the best next step.  

Keep us posted on the outcome please!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Pat46
Explorer | Level 4

I tried the beta version and got the same error.

So please fix this bug.

Regards

Pat46

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey @sakshi09 & @Pat46, thanks for checking in with us! 

It would be great if you started off installing the Beta version @sakshi09. Once you do, please let us know of the results here when you have a minute! 

I’ve also sent you a brief message back on our ongoing discussion @Pat46; please have a look at your inbox & I’ll do my best to touch-base soon once you reply with your findings. 

Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Duncan T.4 Helpful | Level 6
    Razvan Helpful | Level 5
    dyong Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?