cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure to link personal Dropbox on desktop app (Mac)

Failure to link personal Dropbox on desktop app (Mac)

elyxandra
Explorer | Level 3

I've been running a personal and professional dropbox on my desktop for a few years without problem. Recently I had to unlink my personal account in order to reformat my external hard drive to comply with Dropbox's new support issues (prompted by a pop-up that dropbox would no longer sync in November).
Now every time I try to link my personal dropbox through the app, the button turns grey with the words "Linking" and the loading graphic just spins forever without doing anything.
I have restarted the app and my computer many many times which has made no difference.

7 Replies 7

Re: Failure to link personal Dropbox on desktop app (Mac)

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi there, could you try reinstalling the Dropbox desktop application to see if this helps by repairing any potential issues in the app?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

elyxandra
Explorer | Level 3

If I do this will I need to re-sync all of the files on my professional dropbox (the one that is currently working)? There are a lot of files there and I would rather not kill my bandwidth doing it all from scratch.

Jay
Dropboxer
It might index the files to confirm there were no changes, but it shouldn’t resync them.

You don’t even need to uninstall the app, just quit the Dropbox app, install a fresh copy of the program, reboot the computer, and see if this helps!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Gordon S.
Explorer | Level 3

I'm running MacOS 10.14 Mojave, and have more or less the same issue. DropBox won't function at all. The context menu options produce an error after trying to sort itself out which takes about 30 seconds. So in effect, my Mac isn't being synched. I am using a DropBox Pro account.

elyxandra
Explorer | Level 3

After the install and restart it seemed to go a bit further, as far as the prompt to open new folder, but stalled at that point.

Gordon S.
Explorer | Level 3

Yep, reinstalled several times using the standard installer, and the Offline installer. No difference. It also appears that uploads are missing, so clearly the software isn't running.

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the info, @Gordon S..

As you’ve noticed, if you are installing the Dropbox desktop application on a computer with macOS Mojave for the first time, it may take up to 30 seconds for Dropbox sync icons to show in Finder.

We are working on implementing additional improvements to our support of macOS Mojave, but we do not have a timeline to share about this yet.

@elyxandra, there is a possibility that a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains.

Let me know what you find out!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Gordon S. Explorer | Level 3
    elyxandra Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?