cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False copyright claim on rightfull content not resolved since 5 days

False copyright claim on rightfull content not resolved since 5 days

Frederic N.2
New member | Level 1

Hello,

I, the Dev of Sinking Simulator 2, got confronted with a troll (or scammer) that has made false copyright claims under my name over Sinking Simulator content which copyright belongs to my Colleague Francis Racicot, which he was hosting on his personal Dropbox. The links that have been taken down are on this page: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sinking-simulator#/

I am 100% pissed that nothing has been made by any corporation (Dropbox / adfly / weebly) to prevent this kind of [censored] and if not preventable, easily revertible so it can be rapidly put back online because people partially live from their work hosted on it.

I am posting this in hope it will get you off your ass and [censored] check for copyright owners before taking them down especially if the claimer puts a [censored] k at the end of my first name to copyright claim under my behalf.

look, you just type sinking simulator in google, the first link is the indiegogo page, posted by who? Francis [censored] Racicot! not Frederic(k) [censored] Nieto. bur look even on sinking simulator 2, where my name is mentioned, who is also mentioned? Francis [censored] Racicot! so please look in your "ignored complaints" copyright tickets pile and look at the info I gave you so you can go back to getting revenue from our [censored] work.

Ok, sorry for being Pissed, it's not against you, it's against your copyright system that [censored] sucks. Have a nice day.

9 Replies 9

Re: False copyright claim on rightfull content not resolved since 5 days

Tim M.
Collaborator | Level 9

I assume you've already opened a support ticket? Unfortunately, that is the only way to get an official response. I'd also be spamming them on Twitter to get them to look at your ticket same-day. 

Sorry this happened to you. Do you have an alternative place to host the files temporarily? I'd offer my help with a temporary FTP server, but I'm just a stranger on the internet 🙂 Maybe set up a temporary digital ocean cloud droplet to host it on? 

Rich
Super User II

Tim's advice is correct. You need to contact Dropbox through a support ticket. This is primarily a user supported forum and we can't help you here.

Open your ticket here: https://www.dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

Also, it doesn't matter how pissed you are. There's no need for the language you used throughout your post. I understand you're upset but posting like that certainly isn't going to help your cause, and it could actually get you banned. Please refrain from using such language in the future. Thank you. I've edited your post to remove the offending content.

Frederic N.2
New member | Level 1

Thanks for your proposal and info.

Relying on cloud storage is a bad idea if you know what i mean... so i cannot host them anywhere else.

Frederic N.2
New member | Level 1

Thank you Rich R,

i had posted a ticked on the DCMA 5 days ago (so 3 buisness days) and they did nothing yet. I don't know how long the troll needed to wait but I'd bet my life savings that it took less than a day.

I'll post a ticket on the support too. have a nice day.

Richard P.
Super User alumni

I am 100% pissed that nothing has been made by any corporation (Dropbox / adfly / weebly) to prevent this kind of [censored] and if not preventable, easily revertible so it can be rapidly put back online because people partially live from their work hosted on it.

I am posting this in hope it will get you off your ass and [censored] check for copyright owners before taking them down especially if the claimer puts a [censored] k at the end of my first name to copyright claim under my behalf.

Under the DMCA safe harbor provisions, Dropbox *cannot* make a judgement as to whether the claim is valid or not, which is why under those same provisions you can submit a counter claim and have your content access restored.

If you want to complain to someone about the take down being issued and acted on, speak to an American politician, because Dropbox cannot do anything different.

Mark
Super User II

if not preventable, easily revertible so it can be rapidly put back online because people partially live from their work hosted on it.

Unfortunately if you are living off it then you really need to be using a 'proper' content handling system. And making sure you have communication lines with staff available. 

Remember that it is 3 days or so for replies if you are a PAYING user, so 5 days if you are not isnt uncommon (or really, unexpected - its only fair those paying get priority service). 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Frederic N.2
New member | Level 1

@Richard

thanks for the info, sadly everybody knows US politicians listen with their wallets...

@Mark

the copyright claim line does not require authentication to access so i don't think they differentiate. And yes we shall make a FTP server for the content, but it is out of our budget for right now (0$ budget issues).

Mark
Super User II

the copyright claim line does not require authentication to access so i don't think they differentiate

They probably do once you input your email. Or, simply giving priority to people with known paid accounts. 

Unfortunately as we dont work for Dropbox (none of the Super users do) a lot of this is just speculation. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Frederic N.2
New member | Level 1

Oh yes. Big Brother is watching us 😉 haven't thought about it, thanks 🙂 i will be more patient next time. So bad Dropbox is under US legislation and not the European one as it would be so much more user friendly.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Frederic N.2 New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
    Richard P. Super User alumni
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?