cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Features removed from Desktop Sync Tool on Windows and macOS. PLEASE BRING THEM BACK!

Features removed from Desktop Sync Tool on Windows and macOS. PLEASE BRING THEM BACK!

Nuri_MeSo
Explorer | Level 4

The Dropbox Desktop Sync app (on Windows in the Notification area; macOS in the Menu Bar) used to have:

• a dead-useful search bar built into the pane. It's been removed from this release. PLEASE BRING IT BACK.
  • the ability to generate share links directly from the pane (as well as other helpful overflow menu items). PLEASE BRING IT BACK.

These features are now available only in the Dropbox Explorer application, which, on the whole, acts more like the Dropbox website than a local app. It's bulky and unnecessary for fast and quick tasks like finding a file quickly or grabbing the share link for a newly generated file (like a PDF or an image made 10 seconds earlier) -- tasks ideally suited to the Desktop Sync app.

Please reconsider bringing these features back to the Sync tool for Windows and macOS. THEY ARE SORELY MISSED.

5 Replies 5

Re: Features removed from Desktop Sync Tool on Windows and macOS. PLEASE BRING THEM BACK!

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Nuri_MeSo, thanks for posting today!

Could you confirm the version of the Dropbox desktop application you're running? 

You can do this by hovering your mouse over the Dropbox icon in the system tray or menu bar. 

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Features removed from Desktop Sync Tool on Windows and macOS. PLEASE BRING THEM BACK!

Nuri_MeSo
Explorer | Level 4

I'm running the same version of Dropbox v123.3.4825

in both Windows 10 Pro (19042.985)

and macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur

Jay
Dropboxer
It looks like you’re running the beta version of the Dropbox desktop application.

To install our latest stable version, visit this page and switch ‘Early releases’ to Off.

Afterwards, re-download the app from here and let me know if the issue persists.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Nuri_MeSo
Explorer | Level 4

Two notes of feedback:

1. You are correct that I was on an early release. Toggling off the feature and re-installing Dropbox brought back the features I was sorely missing. Thank you for helping me back on track!
  2. If the Early Release is any indication of where Dropbox Desktop Sync app is headed: TURN AROUND! That early release may look slick, but removing all of those features that I detailed are (not to be hyperbolic) lifesavers (if not only "timesavers").

Thank you for your help, Jay!

Jay
Dropboxer
Glad to have helped out, @Nuri_MeSo, if you need any further assistance in future, let me know.

Enjoy your weekend!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Nuri_MeSo Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?