cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fedora 28 / Gnome 3.28 - Open Dropbox Folder option

Fedora 28 / Gnome 3.28 - Open Dropbox Folder option

gherney
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have installed Dropbox in on my Fedora 28 desktop (I'm using Gnome 3.28), and the dropbox icon is displaying correctly on the upper right of my notification bar.  When I right-mouse click above the icon, I get the proper context menu.  But the 'Open Dropbox Folder' options does nothing.  In pervious versions of Fedora, this option was working correctly by opening the Gnome file manager to the Dropbox folder.  Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marco L.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

The problem (and the solution) is quite simple I think: when clicking "Open Dropbox folder" on the Dropbox icon, it tries to open the Gnome file manager (Nautilus/Files) with the command "nautilus --no-desktop" which used to work with previous Gnome versions, but doesn't work anymore (except in Ubuntu, which has a Nautilus/file manager one or two versions behind).

The right command to issue seems to be only "nautilus" (without the "--no-desktop" option), as otherwise, it generates the following error message in terminal:  "Option --no-desktop unknown"

I have already reported the problem last May, and yet, Dropbox has not provided any correction. See this report:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/Gnome-3-28-Fedora-28-linux-Opening-file...

After this report, I have been referred to someone from the "specialized" support team, who wrote me the following: "I relayed the details of your problem to our engineering team. From here, they’ll evaluate the problem and work toward a solution. I can’t say exactly how long this will take, however, I’ll keep a close watch on the team’s progress and let you know as soon as I have an update."

So basically, I guess it's only a matter of making sure that Dropbox issues the proper command to open Nautilus/Files. It works flawlessly with other syncing utilities, like Nextcloud, Insync, etc.

Hope this will be fixed soon!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Initially, could you please ensure that you meet the software requirements outlined here?

Furthermore, could you please try the following and see if the Dropbox folder opens:
  • Double-clicking on the Dropbox icon. 
  • Selecting the folder icon on the Notification panel.
If that doesn't work, have you tried quitting and restarting your desktop app - maybe that will do the trick. You can do this by:
  1. Clicking the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
  2. Select the gear icon in the Notifications panel
  3. Choose Quit Dropbox.
  4. Open your applications menu and re-launch the desktop app (sign in again if necessary).
Let me know of any update! :slight_smile:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

nickdc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've been using Dropbox on a Manjaro Gnome desktop for several months now and experience exactly this same problem. Everything else to do with Dropbox works just as it should, except the "Open Dropbox Folder" item from the drop-down icon menu. It's never worked for me. My system is fairly state-of-the-art and I've made no changes to the standard installation. Very bizarre.

gherney
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello - sorry I have not replied earlier.  I do meet the specified requirements you reference, and have tried reinstalling/restarting desktop app.  However I still experience the same issue: all options on the context menu work correctly except for the 'Open Dropbox Folder' option.

I have recently upgraded my system to Fedora 29 / Gnome 3 . 30 . 2 but still experience the same problem.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sorry to hear that, @gherney and @nickdc

In order to further investigate, we’d have to move this discussion to emai due to account-specific info that’s required. For this reason, I’ve sent each of you an email to the email address associated with your Forum profiles. Please check for my latest message in your inbox. 

Thanks! :grinning:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Marco L.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

The problem (and the solution) is quite simple I think: when clicking "Open Dropbox folder" on the Dropbox icon, it tries to open the Gnome file manager (Nautilus/Files) with the command "nautilus --no-desktop" which used to work with previous Gnome versions, but doesn't work anymore (except in Ubuntu, which has a Nautilus/file manager one or two versions behind).

The right command to issue seems to be only "nautilus" (without the "--no-desktop" option), as otherwise, it generates the following error message in terminal:  "Option --no-desktop unknown"

I have already reported the problem last May, and yet, Dropbox has not provided any correction. See this report:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/Gnome-3-28-Fedora-28-linux-Opening-file...

After this report, I have been referred to someone from the "specialized" support team, who wrote me the following: "I relayed the details of your problem to our engineering team. From here, they’ll evaluate the problem and work toward a solution. I can’t say exactly how long this will take, however, I’ll keep a close watch on the team’s progress and let you know as soon as I have an update."

So basically, I guess it's only a matter of making sure that Dropbox issues the proper command to open Nautilus/Files. It works flawlessly with other syncing utilities, like Nextcloud, Insync, etc.

Hope this will be fixed soon!

victordom
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Got the same problem and so far (as june 30th) no solution yet from Dropbox guys

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

victordom Helpful | Level 6
    Marco L. Helpful | Level 6
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    gherney Explorer | Level 3
    nickdc New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?