cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fedora 33 DNF repo?

Fedora 33 DNF repo?

FeRDNYC
Explorer | Level 3

After slipping a week from its alternate target date, Fedora 33 is in beta as of 9/29. For the past two weeks, it has been more than feasible to create packages for Fedora 33, as the environment is well-defined and only targeted bug-fix changes remain to be made before the final release. (Currently still scheduled for one week from today, 10/20, but possibly subject to slippage due to the delayed beta release.) Most packagers both within and outside the project have spent the past two months busily readying their package collections for testing during the F33 beta cycle, so that by release day everything will hopefully be fully tested and deployed.

...So, would anyone like to start an over/under on how many weeks after the Fedora 33 release it will be, before Dropbox finally make their F33 DNF repository available? I think F32 may have been a new record, since it only finally appeared two days ago, long AFTER the next release was already in beta!

(Or, you know, they could confound everyone's expectations by doing what every other software packager does, and working to prepare builds BEFORE the release — exactly as I described above — so that they're already available the day the new release comes out. Ball's in your court, Dropbox. You've missed Every. Single. Fedora. Release. since Fedora 18. Trust me, I've been counting. Consistency isn't always admirable.)

20 Replies 20

Re: Fedora 33 DNF repo?

Walter
Dropboxer

HI there @FeRDNYC; thanks for using Dropbox!

While I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback on this, I'm afraid we don't have a concrete timeline on when future repos will be released. 

As you know, we do support a variety of operating systems, but we are unable to support beta (or experimental) versions until they are officially classified as stable. 

On a side note, these packages install an open-source helper application and, as you noticed, the version of this application does not change as frequently as the main Dropbox application.

The packages there though will always install the latest version of Dropbox for Linux.

I hope this information helps to some extent and please let us know if you have anything to add or ask. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kgidwani
New member | Level 2

Hi,

It has been a month that fedora 33 is released.  

Can you please update the repository for Fedora 33?

Regards,

Kapil

FlatEarther
New member | Level 2

Same here, unable to upgrade to Fedora 33 becasue DropBox blocks the upgrade.

Jay
Dropboxer

We appreciate your comments about the Fedora 33 repository.

We take all feedback seriously and our dev team are aware of this matter.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kkietzke
New member | Level 2

It would be nice if the Dropbox folks would at least link the directories on their end - they obviously had something for me to install. I just hardwired it in /etc/yum.repos.d/dropbox.repo - I don't have time for this nonsense.

No repository location for Fedora 33. Redux of support ticket #10988692

Richard E.7
Helpful | Level 6

Once again, after a new Fedora release, there are errors when we attemp to update Dropbox indicating the following:

Errors during downloading metadata for repository 'dropbox':
  - Status code: 404 for https://linux.dropbox.com/fedora/33/repodata/repomd.xml (IP: 54.192.73.94)
Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'dropbox': Cannot download repomd.xml: Cannot download repodata/repomd.xml: All mirrors were tried

This occurs because the location

https://linux.dropbox.com/fedora/33/repodata/repomd.xml

has not been created for Fedora version 33.  This occurred with the release of Fedora 32 (July '20) as well and was eventually corrected a month later as a result of support ticket #10988692 

Details of that episode can be found here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/There-isn-t-a-Linux-repository-for-Fedora-32/m-p/443297#M96709

Hey DropBox, any chance you can update your release process so this doesn't happen as often? If there is no change then a simple link to the old version is all that is typically needed.

Thanks.

Richard E.7
Helpful | Level 6

I think you miss the point that FeRDNYC is making.  The facilities are there for your development team to prepare for a release on the next Fedora version before that version drops.  I can see a short time between the OS version release and your Dropbox release supporting it due to testing and QA but it takes much more than that on your side for every release. It appears that no work is done until the OS announces it's release.

Even when the new OS versions drop, the current Dropbox version has been working (so far). But the update process on Fedora will consistently balk because you are not providing a link that it recognizes as a valid one. This leaves most of your Fedora based users continually looking at error messages in their update logs that are really no-ops.

All we really need is a link to the latest Dropbox version that works in the most current released Fedora version. Run your QA suite on the latest Fedora and if it passes just provide us a link for it pointing back to the current Dropbox version. 

I can't verify it but I suspect other Linux distros may be in similar positions.

Thank for listening/reading.

kkietzke
New member | Level 2

I remember encountering this before, a couple of years ago, but I don't remember which distro. (CentOS???) I fixed it by hardwiring it on my end that time too. On both occasions, I encountered this issue immediately after installing Dropbox - obviously they thought they had something that worked even though the "correct" repo didn't exist. I don't understand why it's so hard for the Dropbox folks to just link it on their end to whatever version they're giving me when I do the initial install.

ncoghlan
New member | Level 2

The following /etc/yum.repos.d/dropbox.repo file will use the current version repo if available, and fall back to Fedora 32 otherwise:

[dropbox]
name=Dropbox Repository
baseurl=https://linux.dropbox.com/fedora/$releasever/
        https://linux.dropbox.com/fedora/32/
failovermethod=priority
gpgkey=https://linux.dropbox.com/fedora/rpm-public-key.asc
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

tbrim New member | Level 2
    Frond New member | Level 2
    ncoghlan New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropboxer