cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Change Notification

File Change Notification

SPN
Explorer | Level 3

When a file shared file is changed other users receive a notification via a measge next to the Dropbox Icon. However it only remains visible for a few seconds so unless a user is say at the PC it is missed. Can it remain visible until closed?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: File Change Notification

Rich
Super User II

@SPN wrote:

When a file shared file is changed other users receive a notification via a measge next to the Dropbox Icon. However it only remains visible for a few seconds...

In that case, it's likely a notification from your operating system and not Dropbox. Yes, Dropbox is initiating it, but it's your operating system's notification feature that is displaying the message.

I'd look to your OS notification settings to see if you can change how long they appear. On Windows 10, you can do this from the Ease of Access settings.

1092cd66a9dea94ad0feb8ff112456bc.png

Also on Windows 10, even if the notification has gone away, it should still be available in the Action Center.

images.jpg

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @SPN

Welcome to the Dropbox Community! I'd be more than happy to help. 

You should be able to find your notifications when you click on your Dropbox icon on your system tray or menu bar.

You can also check which notifications your desktop app pings from your preferences

Some of the notifications generated by your desktop app though may be OS based. You may be able to find past notifications from your Action center (Windows 10) or Notifications (Mac). You can find some visual info in this thread

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any follow up questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

SPN
Explorer | Level 3

Many thanks Lusil

There are circumstances with certain users where it would be more apprpriate for the notification to remain visible or emailed I.E. they do not check their notifications reguarly and when a file is only changed every few weeks.

SPN

Lusil
Dropboxer

I completely understand where you're coming from, @SPN

Although there is a way for users to be notified via email, activity in shared folders comes as a weekly digest. 

Nonetheless, I'd be more than happy to pass your comments to our dev team to review in the future. 

If there's something else I can do to help or you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give me a nudge. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rich
Super User II

@SPN wrote:

When a file shared file is changed other users receive a notification via a measge next to the Dropbox Icon. However it only remains visible for a few seconds...

In that case, it's likely a notification from your operating system and not Dropbox. Yes, Dropbox is initiating it, but it's your operating system's notification feature that is displaying the message.

I'd look to your OS notification settings to see if you can change how long they appear. On Windows 10, you can do this from the Ease of Access settings.

1092cd66a9dea94ad0feb8ff112456bc.png

Also on Windows 10, even if the notification has gone away, it should still be available in the Action Center.

images.jpg

View solution in original post

SPN
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Rich I will try it.

SPN
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for help Lusil and Rich.

Lusil
Dropboxer

No worries, @SPN! Let us know if you have any other questions in the future. 

In the meantime, hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead! :grinning:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Britt_8
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I'd like to chime in. I and several fellow colleagues are working together on a project and sharing our files on Dropbox. It's very interactive and I'd very much like to be notified when a team member makes a file change. In lieu of me, going out and actively and repeatedly seeking "did anyone make a change?", I would prefer the system notify me when a change happens. Also, I often work remotely and am not at my PC often enough to constantly be checking notifications.  I thought Dropbox used to send emails when files were updated, but if that currently not the case, I'd very much like to request the developers consider adding that as an opt-in feature.  

Thank you very much!

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?