cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File Explorer Hangs through Quick Access Recent Files

File Explorer Hangs through Quick Access Recent Files

CB65
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have recently purchased a new HP computer with Windows 10 and installed my standard office software including DropBox (v53.4.67).  As soon as I installed DropBox, and started to do work I experiencedproblems with File Explorer.  When I clicked on File Explorer on the Task Bar, File Explorer opened without showing any folders or files and displayed "Working on it."  File Explorer hangs and the only solution is to close the window.  My work around was to right click on File Explorer and get to File Explorer without going to Quick Access.  If you click on Quick Access - File Explorer hangs.  The only way to get File Explorer to work is to go to Quick Access Options and clear File Explorer history.   Through trial and error, I discovered I can keep DropBox working and File Explorer, but I have to deselect the "Show recently used files in Quick access."

About a month ago I bought a Dell desktop and installed DropBox and had the same problem.  (One of the reasons I returned the Dell was I thought the computer was this File Explorer problem.)  Since I am having this same problem with a brand new HP, this is clearly a reoccurring problem with DropBox.  I have used DropBox at work for years and never had a problem.  I never had this problem with my old computer, so it seems to be something related to a new computer and a new install of DropBox.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  I can live with arrangements, but would prefer to have the convenience that Quick Access provides. Thanks.

17 Replies 17

CB65
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thanks for helping. I have cleared the search history several times, after each try with no success in resolving the matter. If I figure out the problem, I'll come back and post the final solution. Still not sure it is not related to Dropbox, but I'll keep looking.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your diligence @CB65 - keep us posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Bob2019
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I've been using DropBox for 7 years. Generally, it's a great product and I've encouraged by IT staff to use it as well. This bug (windows Explorer locking up) has occurred in my case about 3-4 times in the past few years that I recall, an interval just long enough for me to forget the symptoms. In the past few days, this bug has clamed several more hours of my time chasing false leads and occupying tech support sessons.  In a tech support session with Dropbox today, the rep advised me that there are no known issues related to this problem, even after sending a link to THIS article. This software bug is REAL. I don't know what patch, software installation,  Windows update or OS change tickles it in just the right manner to manifest, but the bug needs to be take seriously. Thanks for your documentation efforts.     

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the report @Bob2019 - I've passed all of your comments to your existing ticket and I'd advise to take it from there as this isn't affecting a lot of users and is probably a device specific issue. The best way to handle such queries is through our Official Channels as we'd need additional information to troubleshoot further. 

While we're at it, have you by any chance tried any of my previous suggestions? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Bob2019
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello Walter. I absolutely understand your need for further information in order to troubleshoot further. My first job in IT was that of a software tester, and I supported software developers. In the case of my most recent brush with this bug, I did request support and it was excellent as is always the case with Dropbox for Business.  Sadly, it amounted to "please reinstall", which was successful, but it won't prevent the same issue from reoccurring in the future.  

There are two points I'd like to add. The rate of this bug is likley higher than you beleive as only a tiny fraction of those affected wil ever document it onlne, and most of those will simply reinstall and hope for the best. This action will probably correct the issue, temporarily.

Second, it is relatively common for two pieces software to overwrite one another, doing damage to the other in the process often in ways which are difficult to debug. Software developers in general are racing to get updates out the door. Keeping track of which other software is damaging your's is not a large concern. However, in this case, the conflicting component is "Windows Explorer", a critcial part of the "Windows" operating system.  Clicking on "Quick Access" would immediately result in the lock up, illustrating the direct correlation. My guess is that "Windows Explorer" it's not going away anytime soon.

In my case, I purged every entry in Windows Explorer Quick Access and will avoid using Quick Access in the future, as a work aroud. All things considered, Dropbox is in great product and I wish you all the best.

Cadence-McShane
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So the offical "solution" is to reinstall the Dropbox app and pretend everything works?

Not impressed with this answer folks.

Createch Services
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I was having the same issue with explorer hanging when accessing the Dropbox files on my hard Drive.  I had recently installed iCloud Drive to my system, and the problem started occurring.  I uninstalled iCloud and the problem resolved.

CB65
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

FYI.  I do no have icloud on my system, nor did I have it on my computer when I initially experienced this problem.  My only solution has been to remove the Quick Access Files options from the File Explorer settings.  Ever since I removed the Quick Access Files option, I have not had the problem.  I still have the Quick Access Folders option.  This is my work around and have been able to use DropBox without any problems since then.  Not sure there is an ultimate fix.  Good luck.

Need more support?