cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Explorer Hangs through Quick Access Recent Files

File Explorer Hangs through Quick Access Recent Files

CB65
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have recently purchased a new HP computer with Windows 10 and installed my standard office software including DropBox (v53.4.67).  As soon as I installed DropBox, and started to do work I experiencedproblems with File Explorer.  When I clicked on File Explorer on the Task Bar, File Explorer opened without showing any folders or files and displayed "Working on it."  File Explorer hangs and the only solution is to close the window.  My work around was to right click on File Explorer and get to File Explorer without going to Quick Access.  If you click on Quick Access - File Explorer hangs.  The only way to get File Explorer to work is to go to Quick Access Options and clear File Explorer history.   Through trial and error, I discovered I can keep DropBox working and File Explorer, but I have to deselect the "Show recently used files in Quick access."

About a month ago I bought a Dell desktop and installed DropBox and had the same problem.  (One of the reasons I returned the Dell was I thought the computer was this File Explorer problem.)  Since I am having this same problem with a brand new HP, this is clearly a reoccurring problem with DropBox.  I have used DropBox at work for years and never had a problem.  I never had this problem with my old computer, so it seems to be something related to a new computer and a new install of DropBox.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  I can live with arrangements, but would prefer to have the convenience that Quick Access provides. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the report @Bob2019 - I've passed all of your comments to your existing ticket and I'd advise to take it from there as this isn't affecting a lot of users and is probably a device specific issue. The best way to handle such queries is through our Official Channels as we'd need additional information to troubleshoot further. 

While we're at it, have you by any chance tried any of my previous suggestions? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It isnt something I have ever seen at all CB65.

Have you tried the offline installer from www.dropbox.com/downloading?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

hendo42
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a recurring issue where Windows explorer will hang on the Dropbox folder - the folder window opens, no files displayed, & Windows says 'Working on it...'  Closing the window causes Explorer to crash.

The OS is Windows 10 Education.  This has been occurring on multiple PCs for many months.  I have reimaged the PCs to no lasting result. It will work fine for a few days or weeks, then not.

It generally requires deleting & reinstalling Dropbox (resynching 700GB on a s-l-o-w connection).

I am desperate to find a solution, or I will have to move to Google Drive, or (shudder) OneDrive.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Second time I've seen the exact same post on here this weekend, I'm merging the threads together to keep everything in one place,

However, to help can you log a ticket at www.dropbox.com/support and reference the thread URL that this will be on?

Once thats done you can track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

CB65
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I tried the reinstall of Dropbox and had the same issue.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Hopefully someone will figure out the problem.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @CB65 & @hendo42 - sorry to hear about this issue with your Windows' File Explorer. 

As a first step, could you please try a clean, advanced re-install of our software using our offline installer and let me know if this persists? 

Moreover, would you mind sharing a screenshot of the error message you get ( if any)?  

Thank you in advance for your cooperation on this one. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

CB65
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I did try a fresh reload of Dropbox as was suggested.  I got the same problem.  Below is screen shot.  I notice the first time I add a file to the Quick Access list File Explorer works fine.  I seems with a second file is add to the Quick Access list File Explorer hangs and you get this "Working on it" message.

Working on it2.jpg

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the speedy update on this @CB65 - most appreciated.

As I'd really like to see into this and to help isolate the issue here, could you please try quitting the Dropbox application by using the following steps:

If the issue persists when Dropbox is completely closed, this suggests that the cause is related to something outside of the Dropbox application and you might need to check other applications or components of your Operating System that could be causing this. 

Let me know what you find please!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

CB65
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I went to Dropbox Setting and clicked on "Exit Dropbox" and then retried the File Manager Quick Access.  The problem still persists.  I did not "Quit Dropbox," but I assume that is the same as "Exit Dropbox."  Based on that logic, the problem may be unrelated to Dropbox.  Thanks for the suggestion.  This does not solve my problem and I'm not totally sure Dropbox did not initiate the problem, but it is clear that exiting Dropbox did not resolve the problem.  That said, I will broaden my search to see if I figure out what is causing the problem.  I know how to avoid the problem, but stopping it alludes me for now.  Thanks again for the suggestions.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries @CB65 - we're always here to help. Glad we could exclude Dropbox from the equation - have you checked other factors that could be causing this?

Having said that and even though that's not within my scope of expertise, have you tried clearing your (Windows) File Explorer search history to see if this will resolve your problem? It's pretty easy and if I were you, I would also give this a go! To do this follow these steps:

1. Go to "Start". Then search for (and click) the "Control Panel". 
  2. Enter file in the search box on the top right of the Control Panel window. Then click "File Explorer Options".
  3. Click "Clear" to clear File Explorer history. Then click "Apply > OK".
  4. Press the "Windows logo key and E" at the same time to open your File Explorer and check how this went!

I hope this helps and do let me know what you find. Thanks! 

[EDIT: Just saw that you've already mentioned clearing your search history helps @CB65 - I am leaving these steps here for anyone to find as they might prove to be useful in the future.]

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

CB65 Explorer | Level 3
    Createch Services Explorer | Level 4
    Cadence-McShane New member | Level 2
    Bob2019 Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?