cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File & folder counts don't match - frustrated w/DB support

File & folder counts don't match - frustrated w/DB support

JB M.2
Collaborator | Level 9

I have been "Chatting " w/DB support since 4/21 on this issue & not getting any answers.

Windows 7

I rebooted both (asked to by support)

Waited till DB was "up to date" & both PCs have "select all"

1 PC shows 265,527 files & 4,866 folders

1 PC shows 263,763 files & 4,863 folders.

I send screen prints to them showing all this info - all I got was the 2nd person saying they didn't see the screen prints that I sent to the 1st person.

Of coarse no way to communicate with a supervisor of my discust & frystration.

I asked DB support what they show on their end for file & folder count for my DB PRO account.

They don't have any way to find it. I have been a happy user since 2011 - but now I question the status of my files. Are there more missing somewhere?

Does anyone know of a way to combare the high level DB folder on 2 PCs?

Thx in advance.

JB Morrow

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: File & folder counts don't match - frustrated w/DB support

Mark
Super User II
JB, I get your annoyance, however, the issue is not an arbitrary one for Dropbox. Its a restriction of Microsoft. The issue is a well documented issue with Microsoft OS's - use Mac or Linux and you can quite happily add file paths much longer than that (both of which will upload to Dropbox quite happily). Its only when you add a Windows OS in to the mix that it does not work.

Dropbox has not get anything to solve or fix as it is not Dropbox at 'fault' here - its Microsoft. However, I do agree that more should/could be done to inform people of the issue.

Because of that they cannot give you a time frame to fix (as it is anything Dropbox can fix). They also do not ever for any release give timeframes for feature requests.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

28 Replies 28

Chris_J
Super User

Hello JB M.2

Sorry, you are having frustrations.  The only way that I can be of help (I don't have access to users accounts or work for Dropbox) is to help you get info yourself.    If you go to https://www.dropbox.com/account/plan  it will list how many GB you have stored in Dropbox.  While this doesn't help you get specific info on how many files you have, I hope this helps.  

Once in a while, a Dropboxer (a person who works at Dropbox) will chime in the forum.  Hopefully one will help you more here

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

JB M.2
Collaborator | Level 9

Thx - I know my plan size & usage - this is down to the details not matching!

Pikamander2
Super User

Have you tried the Dropbox Bad File Check tool?

Also, is the computer with more files the one that you've been using to upload the majority of the files, by chance? If some of the files have bad filenames or a similar problem, then they would be present on that computer but wouldn't be downloaded to any new computers until the problem is resolved.

JB M.2
Collaborator | Level 9

OK I found how to list the folders that exist on one PC and not on the other.

By running DOS command prompt as admin and pointing to my DB folder

Inside it I ran:

C:\x\dropbox tree /a >TreePC1.doc

then I opened the DOC file selected all lines & copied into a spreadsheet column A

Then did the same procedure on the other PC

Opened that doc and copied into the same spreadsheet in a colum to the right

This way they were side by side until there was a missmatch

Then looked to see where there was missing data in one or the other

Those are the folders that don't exist in one PC or  the other

Bottom line... I found the 3 folders that are on 1 PC & not on the other.

They seem insignificant, but I'm not sure what they are used for.

At least I'm getting somewhere - no help from DB Support!

Just FYI if you add the parameter /f you get all file names listed too.

Mark
Super User II
Hi JB,

Few things that may cause that - https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/files-update-issues specifically point 9.

Or https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/files-not-syncing with Max Character length.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

JB M.2
Collaborator | Level 9

Well I ran the DB pgm - it came up with no errors.

In my case I am running Win 7 on both PCs in question and none of these suggestions address why DB would put some folders on one PC & not the other. If there was an issue with a file name then I would think DB wouldn't put it on any PC.

As I said in my debugging, I have identified the folders in question & am in the process of trying to see why they are not on one of them. I'll post what I find - maybe a couple of days as time not available.

Thank you to all who have offered suggestions. Certainly more info than anything I got from DB support!! Guess just PAYING for the PRO version isn't good enough to get phone access or contach with a supervisor to tell them of my frustration with them.

JB

Rich
Super User II
The folders that exist on one computer but not the other... do they exist on the Dropbox website? If they don't, then the issue is with that computer uploading them. If they do, then the issue is with the other computer downloading them.

JB M.2
Collaborator | Level 9

I did my compare & found a couple of the files in question.

All my discovering is made after both PCs state "Up to date".

The SYNC folder list on BOTH PCs has select all checked! 

I found one of the folders in question

- it exists on the DB cloud

- it exists in the sync folder list from either PC

- it exists on both PCs

YET

in that folder on one PC:

there are 6 items

AND ONLY 4 on the other PC! 

If you look at the Windows file mgr list under 2015/32GB Scan disk...

PC1 has 6  & PC 2 has 4 

AVF_INFO  & System volume information

Are listed and checked in the SYNC list

They are NOT on the PC (Windows file mgr list! I have attached the 2 pics

DropBox sync issue-PC2a.jpgDropBox sync issue-PC1a.JPG

Mark
Super User II
The *only* two things I can think of are:
-the character limit is the issue
-the database is corrupt.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    JB M.2 Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?