cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File link for edit for my colleague doesn't work when I'm not signed in online.

File link for edit for my colleague doesn't work when I'm not signed in online.

artengill
Explorer | Level 3

I have a created an Excel for Web file on my account. I have no shared users. I click on Share and I get a link that says "Users with this link can view and edit this file". I send the link to a colleague. I logout of Dropbox. My colleague uses the link and can view the file, but he cannot edit it. However if I re-open my account by logging into my Dropbox, editing is now available to my friend.

Is this how it works or am I missing something?

Mike

3 Replies 3

Re: File link for edit --- Doesn't

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @artengill, I hope you're well today!

Could you just clarify for me how they are opening the link in both scenarios? For example when they open the link and can edit, does the link open the file directly in Excel Online for editing or do they need to choose to open the file?

If you log out of your account online and open the same link, can you replicate this behaviour?

Let me know and we'll go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

artengill
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

Sorry to mess you about, but the test I was performing was between different tabs in different emails but on the same laptop. I've now done a more simple test.

Open Dropbox on my laptop and click on the file I want to use. Click on Share and I get two options under "shared a link instead". Anyone with link can edit and anyone with link can view. Copy the edit link and send it in an email to my mobile phone. Open the email and click the link. After Gmail loads Dropbox on the mobile I get the message "Perview not available".

Next I did the same email test but picked the view only link. When I clicked this link on my mobile it works fine. I get the up to date view of the spreadsheet I am using on the laptop.

It appears the edit option is not working. I am using Basic Dropbox and the spreadsheet is shared with one user (who is not involved in this test). Are there any other permissions that I should check that maybe stop users from editing this file?

Thanks

Mike

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @artengill, and no problem at all!

It's most likely due to the way that the link is being opened on your mobile, as this link will allow the recipient to edit the file through the online Excel integration.

From what you mentioned, is the link opening within the mobile app on your mobile? If so, can you try copying and pasting the link directly into a web browser on your mobile? You may need to request the desktop version of the website.

Otherwise, do you have the same issue opening the editing link from an incognito window on your computer? 

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?