cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files App integration errors

Files App integration errors

gutenmorgenuhu
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I am glad, that the files app integration is finally here, but I have the following problems:

1. Some folders containing dots „.“ cannot be accessed. It says I have to authenticate, although I already did and it doesn’t give me any window/dialogue to do so.

2. Keynote, Numbers and pages files are viewed as folders, not files. 

3. Docx, PDF, xlsx files (and maybe others) are opened in a preview window and are not editable with the corresponding app (this was promised in a blog post)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Files App integration errors

Maple
Dropboxer

Hi gutenmorgenuhu,

For your third point, try these steps:

There's a lot of ways to open a file in another app, and only some of them allows editing.

- Opening a file directly from the Files app can only open as a Copy. The Export options only have As Copy options.

- To open in Microsoft Word for editing:
1. Open Microsoft Word
2. In the Open tab, tap More under Other Locations, and select the Browse tab
3. Select Dropbox under Locations and select your docx file. Files will now download the contents of that file if needed. Then Word will open it.
4. Note that to edit files in Microsoft Word on iPad you need to sign in to a Microsoft account. I did that and was ablate edit.
5. I made some changes and exited (<- arrow in the top left), though it does say Autosave so maybe it's not always needed
6. I go back to Files app and I see it upload the new file to Dropbox. Once it is uploaded you'll be able to see the edited docx file in your Dropbox account.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Mobile/Can-t-launch-Excel-in-offline-mode-IOS-11/m-p/243439/highligh...

For your bug report about folders with dots, we are investigating.

For Keynote, Numbers and pages files, these are actually "package" files which are directories that are rendered as one file. We will look into this was well.

Thanks for your reports.

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

jpharrin
Explorer | Level 4

Have you downloaded the most recent version of the app (64.3.4)?

Vidar V.
Explorer | Level 4
I have the exact same problem! Latest version of dropbox. Also latest ios.

Vidar V.
Explorer | Level 4
I reinstalled app and still the same problem. The folder containing a dot wont open, ask me to authenticate, but when I tap on authenticate it doesnt send me anywhere. Really frustrating bug

Maple
Dropboxer

Hi gutenmorgenuhu,

For your third point, try these steps:

There's a lot of ways to open a file in another app, and only some of them allows editing.

- Opening a file directly from the Files app can only open as a Copy. The Export options only have As Copy options.

- To open in Microsoft Word for editing:
1. Open Microsoft Word
2. In the Open tab, tap More under Other Locations, and select the Browse tab
3. Select Dropbox under Locations and select your docx file. Files will now download the contents of that file if needed. Then Word will open it.
4. Note that to edit files in Microsoft Word on iPad you need to sign in to a Microsoft account. I did that and was ablate edit.
5. I made some changes and exited (<- arrow in the top left), though it does say Autosave so maybe it's not always needed
6. I go back to Files app and I see it upload the new file to Dropbox. Once it is uploaded you'll be able to see the edited docx file in your Dropbox account.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Mobile/Can-t-launch-Excel-in-offline-mode-IOS-11/m-p/243439/highligh...

For your bug report about folders with dots, we are investigating.

For Keynote, Numbers and pages files, these are actually "package" files which are directories that are rendered as one file. We will look into this was well.

Thanks for your reports.

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

Vidar V.
Explorer | Level 4
I just installed latest update and folders with dots still cant be opened in apple files app. Half of my dropbox cant be used in files app cause of that. I hope next update fix it 🙂

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey Vidar V.

Very interesting... :thinking: I'd be glad to have a look into that with you!

Just to make sure we're on the same page, could you share some more details with me on the matter? For instance, if you rename the folder "Jane" to "Ja.ne", then can't you locate it on your "Files" application? (Any info regarding the case that would help me reproduce would be greatly appreciated! )

Thanks in advance & once we have this info, I'd be glad to analyze the case!

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropboxer
    Vidar V. Explorer | Level 4
    Maple Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?