cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files Won't Delete From Dropbox

Files Won't Delete From Dropbox

Katherine B.8
New member | Level 1

Hi

I put some large email archives into Dropbox. I then decided it was a bad idea. I keep deleting them (from my desktop Dropbox folder) and they keep re-appearing and synching.

I tried to delete them from the web and it said the files were too big and needed to be deleted on the desktop app.

As above, that's not working. 

How can I achieve this? 

Thanks

Brett 

7 Replies 7

Re: Files Won't Delete From Dropbox

James B.133
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem with 23 file that I keep deleting from any and every device and on the web but the show up every day.

JaySF
New member | Level 2

I've had files for about 6 years that I can't delete.   Dropbox team can't seem to delete them either, I've had two tickets opened yet they are still there.    I had set this account up for a non-profilt, but haven't been able to use it or show it because it's embarrasing to try and sell a technology when this kind of stuff happens.   

Would be nice to get them deleted though.

JaySF
New member | Level 2

Doesn't look like they participate is these forms either, huh?   

@JaySF wrote:

I've had files for about 6 years that I can't delete.   Dropbox team can't seem to delete them either, I've had two tickets opened yet they are still there.    I had set this account up for a non-profilt, but haven't been able to use it or show it because it's embarrasing to try and sell a technology when this kind of stuff happens.   

Would be nice to get them deleted though.

Rich
Super User II

JaySF wrote:

Doesn't look like they participate is these forms either, huh?

The forums are primarily user-supported. While a Dropboxer does reply on occasion, most of the help received here is from other users. The only official method of receiving support is through the ticket system.

If a file or folder returns when you delete it, it's usually because it was unable to be deleted on one of your connected devices.

You delete a file on computer A. Dropbox is informed that it has been deleted and syncs that change to your account. Dropbox on your other devices is notified that the file has been deleted, so they also remove the file. On computer B, Dropbox is unable to remove that file for whatever reason (permission, locked, read-only, etc.). The result is that the file remains in place. Dropbox sees the file is still there, thinks it's been added and uploads it back to your account. All your other devices are notified of the "new" file and they sync it back down.

So the problem is likely that the file or folder in question on one of your devices is unable to be deleted. Figure out which (use Previous Versions to see which computer is adding it back) and fix what is holding it there, and you'll be able to delete it.

Sondra E.
New member | Level 2

I was transferring a file from an old Mac to a new Mac and once I transferred the file, it won't delete in DropBox.  Comes back instantly.  No, it's not because another computer is using the files because the other computer is shut down.  And I can't permanently delete, either.  Now my DropBox is 90% full.  I don't understand why I can't delete the files from DropBox. Never had this issue.

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey Sondra E. , 

Thanks for getting in touch on the Dropbox Community! 

I could see that you’ve already contacted us through our Support channel and I’ve made sure that your request is taken care of. Please check your inbox for the message from support and let me know if you have any issues locating the reply. 

Thanks for your cooperation, hope this gets resolved soon! 

Kind regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

EffinCorey
New member | Level 2

This was really really helpful. I was synced with the Desktop and iPhone and kept having files repop up within seconds of deleting the file.

Once I cleared cache and everything else on the phone app I tried to delete the files from my phone. Worked out great and immediatly cleared on both the iPhone and Desktop.

Thanks!

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?