cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files have not been syncing for months.

Files have not been syncing for months.

Bulldogian
Explorer | Level 3

I noticed several files waiting to sync, but never actually syncing,  I've verified that my Basic account has enough space available.  When checking Selective Sync, after waiting for it to load folders, I end up getting an "Unable to connect" message.  I have the right credentials and can connect to the website.  Uninstalling and re-installing did not work, but now it just says syncing and has no indication of how many files there are.  Rebooting the PC, still no go.  Verifying time and date on the PC show it's accurate.  Deleting .dropbox.cache didn't work.  Selecting another, blank, Dropbox folder location results in only the .dropbox.cache folder and .dropbox file appearing, but nothing else.  Unlinking and reconnecting didn't fix it.  Resetting hard links and permissions (Alt-H options) didn't fix it.  Trying on two different Windows 10 PCs was the same.  Turning off the anti-virus and Windows Firewall had no effect.  I'm at a loss of what else to try.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Files have not been syncing for months.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Linked devices should show up in your Security tab on the website. 

Could you confirm if you rebooted your computer as well? 

Thanks for your effort on this, @Bulldogian

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @Bulldogian, awesome work with the troubleshooting! 

Just to have a better visual of what's going on, could you send me a screenshot of what you see when you click on the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dwilliss
Explorer | Level 4

I am having the same issue.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox, rebooting in the process.

It took it forever just to connect again, but eventually did.

There's no antivirus other than Windows Defender.  My internet connection is fine (I'm here on this forum after all).

I've got space in my account, and if that was the problem I would expect an error message saying so anyway.

None of the files are open anywhere.

I found a "View sync errors" on the menu.  It says there are no errors.

I tried packet capture at my router and I can see that a few packets are going back and forth to an IP that's registered to Dropbox (162.125.x.x) on port 443, but that's it.  The packet capture I'm using doesn't show packet contents, but I can see the traffic exists.

Bulldogian
Explorer | Level 3

DBCapture.JPG

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @dwilliss, thanks for nudging us on this thread, and thanks @ Bulldogian for the screenshot. 

Out of curiosity, could you let me know how many files your desktop apps are trying to sync into your Dropbox folder? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

dwilliss
Explorer | Level 4

Mine was stuck at 89 files for several days.

I eventually used the web interface to upload the files so I could share them with a client.

Of course now it appears to be up to date.

However, dropbox is no longer showing the status badge on the file or folder icons (it's set to do so in Preferences).

I just deleted one file from my local dropbox folder and it's been syncing the fact that the file was deleted for the last 5 minutes.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift reply, @dwilliss

Could you also let me know if you've tried fixing hardlinks or permissions by following the steps below in the exact order listed?

• Click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac).
  • Go to the gear in the Notifications panel.
  • Select Preferences...
  • Navigate to the Account tab.
  • Click anywhere in the window under the tab.
  • Hold down the 'Alt+H' keys (Windows) or the 'Option/Alt' key (Mac).
  • Click on the Fix Hardlinks button (if you’re on a Mac OS, make sure you're still holding down the 'Option/Alt' key).
  • You may be asked for your computer's login credentials, in which case, please enter them.
  • Wait a bit to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If you're still having trouble with this, repeat the first six steps, but then choose Fix Permissions at the seventh step, instead. 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

dwilliss
Explorer | Level 4

Didn't help.

Although the file I deleted yesterday finally synced some time last night.  The test file I tried today after reading this is not.

Everything I've seen seems to indicate that this is network related.  

I don't think it's my firewall.  From what I've read, it only needs to allow port 443 which is standard https and open.  I can see the rest of the internet just fine.  Is there some other port I should check?

Bulldogian
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

The root follder has 14 files and 17 folders.  There are a total of about 2,400 files and 360 folders all told.  I'm at 3 GB, which is about half my storage allotment.  I'm wondering if there is a limit besides the size of data.  Do I have too many items?

Also, I did the permalinks and permissions steps.  No change.

bs37
Explorer | Level 3

I'm having the same issue with the same Dropbox version. For me, it seems to have started right after a Windows 10 update was installed, though I can't prove that this is what caused the issue. Seems like a suspicious coincedence, however...

I have a paid account with 2 Tb of storage and am only using ~8% of the space, and have a couple hundred Gb of free hard-disc space, so space is not an issue.

I've worked with my IT folks, and tried everything I can find in these and other forums to get Dropbox to work, but nothing does. It is pretty clear that the desktop application is simply not connecting with Dropbox, as I have literally dozens of shared folders and files that have been changed by collaborators in recent weeks, but notifications are no longer appearing on my computer and there is no sign the app even recognizes that there is an account out there. All the updates and files are still there if I view online, but I absolutely must have access to files when I am off-line, for my work.

A short list of a few of the things I have tried:

Running Windows in Safe Mode (Dropbox still will not sync), un-linking/reconnecting, uninstalling and completely removing all Dropbox-related system files and folders from my computer, setting inbound and outbound rules in the Firewall to allow Dropbox, and reinstalled multiple times. Also created a new free DB account with a different email address and set it up with a new local folder in a different place - it won't even sync an empty folder. My status is exactly the same as the one that @Bulldogian posted - 'syncing', but never changing to say how many files.

Another thing that sometimes happens on startup: Dropbox appears to be crashing File Explorer. If I try opening File Explorer right after startup, it frequently shows no files at all and says that files cannot be found. If I let things sit for a while, or just exit Dropbox, the problem is solved. So it seems that for one reason or another, part of the problem may be a new interference with File Explorer?

My IT folks (I'm at a university) say this is a Dropbox issue, but folks in another community thread are suggesting it isn't.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Dropbox-103-4-383-not-syncing-after-latest-Win...

Right now I really don't care who's issue it is - I just need help to get this issue fixed ASAP.

Hoping someone on this thread might be able to suggest something new that fixes the issue.

TIA,

Benjamin

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    torrentprime New member | Level 2
    tibs New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?