cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files stored offline on my iphone are not available anymore

Files stored offline on my iphone are not available anymore

DaanAmsterdam
New member | Level 2

I have made all files (mostly PDFs) inside one folder available offline. And it worked immediately after downloading them all to my phone. (iPhone with the latest version of the software and latest Dropbox app). After a while of not using them, the files get a yellow exclamation mark behind them and the text "Refresh to update" is placed behind the file name. The files are no longer available offline and I can only view them when I'm online and they reload. Why is it constantly wanting me to refresh the folder online? It makes the offline function of Dropbox totally unusable on my phone. Is this a know issue? Is there something I can do to fix it? Please help! Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Files stored offline on my iphone are not available anymore

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @DaanAmsterdam  - sorry to hear about this.

Could you confirm you're using the latest version of our mobile app which is currently 136.2 for iOS users (while iOS devices are now on 12.2 - can you double check that this is your current setup)?

Moreover, note that items that you make available offline will take up space until they are removed. The Dropbox app also stores certain items in cache for a quicker loading experience in our app, such as previewing documents, PDFs, and photos. These items are only cached for a certain period of time, and then the app will clear this space automatically (based on when the file was last viewed and the amount of space you have on your device).

Having said that, could you try clearing your cache, following these steps? 
1. Navigate to the “Home” tab
2. Tap the gear icon in the upper-left corner of the screen
3. Scroll to the bottom of the screen
4. Select “Clear Cache”.

Once this is done then please ensure you log out of the Dropbox application, then restart your device and log back in again.

If you've done all of these and the problem persists, please send me a screenshot so I can investigate further or, alternatively, log a ticket with our team so we can look into this with all of our tools available.

Thanks in advance and happy Monday!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @DaanAmsterdam  - sorry to hear about this.

Could you confirm you're using the latest version of our mobile app which is currently 136.2 for iOS users (while iOS devices are now on 12.2 - can you double check that this is your current setup)?

Moreover, note that items that you make available offline will take up space until they are removed. The Dropbox app also stores certain items in cache for a quicker loading experience in our app, such as previewing documents, PDFs, and photos. These items are only cached for a certain period of time, and then the app will clear this space automatically (based on when the file was last viewed and the amount of space you have on your device).

Having said that, could you try clearing your cache, following these steps? 
1. Navigate to the “Home” tab
2. Tap the gear icon in the upper-left corner of the screen
3. Scroll to the bottom of the screen
4. Select “Clear Cache”.

Once this is done then please ensure you log out of the Dropbox application, then restart your device and log back in again.

If you've done all of these and the problem persists, please send me a screenshot so I can investigate further or, alternatively, log a ticket with our team so we can look into this with all of our tools available.

Thanks in advance and happy Monday!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

ncoutts
New member | Level 2
I have the same problem. Offline access can’t be relied upon. Files are there one day unavailable the next. This is the one thing stopping me from moving to iOS for real work. Love Dropbox but if a file matters enough to be made offline, it has to be available.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for your report @ncoutts and happy July!

If you can reproduce the problem at hand at the moment, can you log a ticket from the page below and let me know the ticket's ID (7 digit number) so I can locate it on our system and get on it asap.

https://www.dropbox.com/support

In this way, we'll be able to have a further look into this with all of our tools available.

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

DBD2
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, Offline file access is really hit and miss.  If completely offline (no data, no wifi) I can usually access them.  But if data is available, even if not signed in (eg oversease with roaming turned off) or wifi is available but not signed in Dropbox doesn't allow me to open offline files as it wants to sync them via the nonfunctioning data or wifi.  Once that happens deactivating wifi and data on my device still doesn't allow access.  

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with this @DBD2.

Would it be OK if I reached out to your Dropbox associated email address so we can have a further look into this with all of my tools at my disposal?

Thanks in advance. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

DBD2
Explorer | Level 3

Sure Walter but the problem only occurs when I'm OS (and really need my off line files!).  I can't replicate this when I'm home.  I'll be OS in Oct and I'll see if the bug recurs there and  let you know if it does.  That would be the time to troubleshoot.

Walter
Dropboxer

It goes without saying that you can take your time to gather more information @DBD2!

Just keep me posted here when you get the chance and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for your diligence! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?