cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding my files - I see my files online, but I can't find them on my laptop. Any ideas?

Finding my files - I see my files online, but I can't find them on my laptop. Any ideas?

Paul Coneff
Helpful | Level 6

I updated my password for Dropbox and got into my on-line account. But when I tried to download the app again, there is a "Verify your account" box that pops up and it will not accept the exact same password I used to get into my account. I checked, double checked and tripled checked. 

Plus, I can see files and folders in my Dropbox file/on the webpage, but I cannot find them on my laptop, so something is wrong. I tried to contact Dropbox and my experience with the chat box was the same as in the past...not good... How do I find my files on my computer and how do I get Dropbox to recognize new files and folders?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Finding my files - I see my files online, but I can't find them on my laptop. Any ideas?

Paul Coneff
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne,

I unlinked my laptop and that seems to work. I tried to unlink my phone several times today and yesterday and it will not unlink. And I had already deleted the Dropbox folder from my phone days ago because I do not access files on my phone. But at least it seems to have worked because the Dropbox icon is not syncing.... and like you said, I did not receive the "Verify Your Account" message any more. It's odd that I've been using this laptop for two years and all of a sudden, Dropbox stopped working. It was working find when I sent a file last month... And that is technology. Probably connected to some update that took place. And I appreciate all of your help and quick responses.

I am including one screenshot of a message where the link is not lighting up...but that is not a big deal because I want my files on my laptop... And as long as the files are syncing and I can send them, I'm happy. And I will be signing up again for the basic service to use it as a backup and to send files easily. With appreciation for all of your help... PaulDropbox Continue Button.png

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Re: Finding my files - I see my files online, but I can't find them on my laptop. Any ideas?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @Paul Coneff, thanks for reaching out!

Would you mind sending a screenshot, excluding any personal info, of the pop up that you're seeing after you downloaded the desktop app? 

If you were able to sign into your account via the app, what does the sync status of the app show?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Paul Coneff
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne,

It is no longer asking me to verify my account. But when I put in my password, it lets me know about 3 devices. When I click that i am not interested, it goes away but I still cannot access my files. I would attach 2 files to show you the two steps, but I cannot see any place or any icon to attach them.  I highlighted the fact that I have two Dropbox icons on my laptop.... One icon is not highlighted. The second Dropbox icon is lighted and both of them ask me to sign in. Another attachment would show the folders in my Drobpox but again, I see no place to upload those slides...  I am thinking of using Dropbox again, with the Basic User, but if I cannot access my files and Dropbox is showing files that I cannot find, then I can't use it. I do see that the Basic Dropbox now comes with email support and that is encouraging. Paul

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Paul Coneff!

From what you mentioned about the prompt showing 3 devices, it sounds like you might be using the 3 available slots for devices.

Basic accounts has a 3 device limit, so to connect this new device, you'll need to remove one of the devices showing as connected from your security page here.

If you currently use only 1 or 2 devices, it could be that a previous device wasn't correctly unlinked, so you can check and remove any old devices from the page linked above.

For the Dropbox icons that you mentioned, the screenshots would be very helpful to see what you're referring to there.

You should be able to attach them via the camera icon just above the reply box here on the Community. If you have any trouble with this, you can use a Dropbox shared link instead.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Paul Coneff
Helpful | Level 6

Also, the "sync" button was off so I turned it on. But I'm not sure that is best. Either way, the pattern continues where I can click on the Dropbox icon, it asks me to sign in...and it goes no where. But I can go online, type in www.dropbox.com and get into my dropbox account. And again, I was reconsidering purchasing Dropbox again, but support from Dropox has not been good and that is why I went to the free 2 gigs and stopped paying for it.  And I figured out that the "Photos" icon allows me to upload images... so here they are.Dropbox #1.pngDropbox #2.pngDropbox #3 Jan 2021.pngDropbox #4 Sync On.png

Paul Coneff
Helpful | Level 6

I went in and checked "sync" and turned it on... Should I leave it on? I also disconnected the link to my phone and older laptops that I have not used in a number of years. But the Dropbox icon still doesn't help me. So again, I can get into my account to make these changes, but I cannot Dropbox to work :-(. And I don't want to pay for Dropbox again, only to jump through all kinds of hoops that do not work.... With appreciation for your suggestions so far, and I'm still looking for a way to resolve it and have Dropbox working. I sent a file via another company so I can continue doing that.... Sincerely, Paul

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for those screenshots @Paul Coneff.

Once it shows you the prompt about the 3 devices, after entering your account credentials to sign in, you'll need to click "Or sign out of some devices".

Since you currently have 3 or more devices connected to your account, you'll need to remove some of the connected devices to be able to connect this computer again and complete the app setup.

Otherwise, you can go directly to your security page online, as I mentioned above. Until the setup is complete, your files won't sync down to your computer.

The two icons that you're seeing there, the one in the menu bar will always be present when running the Dropbox app, and is where you can check the sync status of files and access the app preferences.

The icon in your dock is to open the Dropbox desktop app interface, where you would view your files. Since the sign in hasn't been completed yet, it's just taking you to the sign in option.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Paul Coneff
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne, I unlinked everything by my laptop but my phone still shows up there...even as that only leaves 2 devices and I have unlinked it multiple times. Plus I deleted Dropbox from my phone. And hit the button where it updates things with the most recent version. But I still do not know how to finish the app setup.... I have uploaded a screen shot showing only 2 devies now. Paul2 Devices Dropbox.png

Daphne
Dropboxer

If the computer shown there is the same device you're trying to setup the app on again, I would suggest unlinking this from the security page online so that you can re-link it.

You can also remove the phone too, it may just be that it wasn't properly unlinked when deleting the app on the phone before.

Once you've done this, can you try rebooting your computer, and click the Dropbox icon once more and try signing into your account?

You shouldn't be seeing the device limit prompt anymore Paul, so please let me know what happens after you enter your account credentials this time.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Paul Coneff
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne,

I unlinked my laptop and that seems to work. I tried to unlink my phone several times today and yesterday and it will not unlink. And I had already deleted the Dropbox folder from my phone days ago because I do not access files on my phone. But at least it seems to have worked because the Dropbox icon is not syncing.... and like you said, I did not receive the "Verify Your Account" message any more. It's odd that I've been using this laptop for two years and all of a sudden, Dropbox stopped working. It was working find when I sent a file last month... And that is technology. Probably connected to some update that took place. And I appreciate all of your help and quick responses.

I am including one screenshot of a message where the link is not lighting up...but that is not a big deal because I want my files on my laptop... And as long as the files are syncing and I can send them, I'm happy. And I will be signing up again for the basic service to use it as a backup and to send files easily. With appreciation for all of your help... PaulDropbox Continue Button.png

View solution in original post

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?