cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashing Icon on my mac?

Flashing Icon on my mac?

kkipp
Explorer | Level 3

HELP!  I cannot access my files on my mac.  I have deleted and uninstalled Dropbox several times and it seems to download okay, but then won't open.  The icon at the top of my screen flashes on and off but is grayed out.  I'm unable to click on it.  I can access my files from another computer and on my phone, but can't figure out why I can't use the app on my mac.  The only way I can get to them is to logon from the web and then download each file individually and the re-upload them... I'd really like the app to just work correctly.  What am I doing wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Flashing Icon on my mac?

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for providing the whole error log @kkipp!

Based on the error you get there, I'd say that your Home directory might be "locked". Luckily, this is easy enough to fix by following these steps:

First, right-click on your Home folder ( /Users/{your username} which in your case seem to be "'/Users/katiegraham") and choose "Get Info". Then, uncheck the "Locked" checkbox.

If you would like to perform these actions through the command line, you can do so with the following steps:

1. Open the Terminal (found in /Applications/Utilites)
  2. Copy and paste the following line into the Terminal and press RETURN. You'll be prompted for your computer user's password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command.
sudo chflags -R nouchg ~

** Note that if you have intentionally locked any folders in your Home folder, this will unlock them. After doing this, you can re-lock any folders that need to be locked that are not in your Dropbox folder.

Another possible cause of these issues would be local network sharing or folder redirection preferences setup in folders or files within your Dropbox. Similar effects can also happen when your Dropbox folder or its system files are located in a mounted network drive or a remote location (like roaming profiles) since this could cause Dropbox to not have constant access or permissions to operate in those locations.

This is especially an issue if other people in the network could be accessing the same data. For these reasons, I'd suggest that you ensure that your setup does not include any of the above scenarios while you may need to reach out to IT if your computer is in a corporate environment to check any of them.

If the above didn't do the trick for you, our next step here would be a clean, advanced re-install as outlined here: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall 

Keep me posted Katie!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Walter
Dropboxer

Hello @kkipp - welcome to our Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with this; let's see what we can do!

At first, could you try to re-install our desktop app on the affected device using the offline installer of our most recent stable version (currently 82.4.155) found in the link below? 

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?build=82.4.155&plat=mac&type=full 

In addition, please make sure that there's no antivirus, firewall or VPN/proxy setting that could  be causing this.

Let me know the results!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kkipp
Explorer | Level 3

I deleted the current app and downloaded the new one from the link you provided and it is still doing the same thing.  There are no firewall or anti-virus or proxy settings that would prevent it from working.  Any other ideas? 

kkipp
Explorer | Level 3

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 2.27.56 PM.png

I got the following error this time after about 30 min.  I clicked on the link and it brings up a text box with the following information: 

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 82.4.155
bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: failed
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 02404b69-fad4-504c-ba45-be8f9bb2cdbd
pid: 9347
ppid: 1
uid: 502
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos=' pw_dir='/
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='pw_passwd='pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='', pw_dir='/Users/ pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 502
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem='_xcsbuildagent', '_serialnumberd', '_xcscredserver'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'katiegraham', '_xcsbuildagent', '_serialnumberd', '_xcscredserver'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/
real_path='/
mode=0o40755 uid=502 gid=20
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=80
HOME: '/User
appdata: '/Users/
real_path='/Users/
mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
parent mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users
real_path='/Users
not found
parent mode=0o40755 uid=502 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=502 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages-37.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages-37.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/4n/wcbrfmtn6gn5cvrq99ckzd100000gp/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/4n/wcbrfmtn6gn5cvrq99ckzd100000gp/T'
mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/authentication/manager.pyc", line 693, in _try_register_host
File "dropbox/client/authentication/manager.pyc", line 2884, in handle_changed_host_secret
File "dropbox/client/authentication/manager.pyc", line 2847, in clear_all_sync_state
File "dropbox/client/databases.pyc", line 268, in reinitialize_databases
File "dropbox/client/config.pyc", line 176, in clear
File "dropbox/sqlite3_helpers.pyc", line 296, in execute
File "dropbox/sqlite3_helpers.pyc", line 262, in _raise_better_operational_exception
File "six.pyc", line 693, in reraise
File "dropbox/sqlite3_helpers.pyc", line 291, in execute
sqlite3.OperationalError: attempt to write a readonly database

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for providing the whole error log @kkipp!

Based on the error you get there, I'd say that your Home directory might be "locked". Luckily, this is easy enough to fix by following these steps:

First, right-click on your Home folder ( /Users/{your username} which in your case seem to be "'/Users/katiegraham") and choose "Get Info". Then, uncheck the "Locked" checkbox.

If you would like to perform these actions through the command line, you can do so with the following steps:

1. Open the Terminal (found in /Applications/Utilites)
  2. Copy and paste the following line into the Terminal and press RETURN. You'll be prompted for your computer user's password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command.
sudo chflags -R nouchg ~

** Note that if you have intentionally locked any folders in your Home folder, this will unlock them. After doing this, you can re-lock any folders that need to be locked that are not in your Dropbox folder.

Another possible cause of these issues would be local network sharing or folder redirection preferences setup in folders or files within your Dropbox. Similar effects can also happen when your Dropbox folder or its system files are located in a mounted network drive or a remote location (like roaming profiles) since this could cause Dropbox to not have constant access or permissions to operate in those locations.

This is especially an issue if other people in the network could be accessing the same data. For these reasons, I'd suggest that you ensure that your setup does not include any of the above scenarios while you may need to reach out to IT if your computer is in a corporate environment to check any of them.

If the above didn't do the trick for you, our next step here would be a clean, advanced re-install as outlined here: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall 

Keep me posted Katie!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

kkipp
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you!  Following all the steps finally worked.  I did have to do the clean, advanced re-install.  it seems to be working correctly now.  

Walter
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear this helped and thanks for keeping me in the loop @kkipp!

If you ever come up with a Dropbox question, feel free to reach out; we'll be happy to assist :sunglasses:

Have a lovely week!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

CarmenD
New member | Level 2

Hello, I am having this problem too (flashing icon, cannot open the app).

I've tried uninstalling, restarting, reinstalling and updating my OS to the latest one, as well as deleting activity in the Activity Monitor and unlocking my User directory as mentioned above. Nothing has worked 😞 Help!

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @CarmenD; welcome aboard and sorry to hear you're also having issues with this.

As you've already carried out some troubleshooting steps, I'd suggest trying the steps below to fix your hardlinks and permissions as this might do the trick for you. Please note that it is very important to follow these steps specifically as failure to do so may result in other issues:

1. Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running

2. Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and then click on the gear in the Notifications panel

3. Select 'Preferences'

4. Click on the 'Account' tab

5. Hold down the 'Option/Space' key

6. Click on the 'Fix Permissions' button (make sure you're still holding down the 'Option/Alt' key)

7. You will be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account ones

This will allow Dropbox access to your home folder, Dropbox folder, and any required settings. 

Let me know how it goes please! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Carmie
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your reply, I can't actually click on the dropbox app icon while it's flashing. I click on it and the menu starts to appear and then closes again when the icon disappears?

I've attached a photo of where the icon flashes on and off.

Screenshot 2020-03-16 at 09.53.17.png

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?