cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder Too Large to Download

Folder Too Large to Download

Beth S.14
New member | Level 1

It's saying a folder is too large to download. Is this a space issue?

Is there a way then to download groups of the photos within the folder, in batches?

Also, it's saying my Dropbox is full. But someone is continuing to share more photos w/ me. Will I not have access to these photos or will they show up? (I don't know if they're specifically on my dropbox.. I think they're just a shared folder?)

10 Replies 10

Re: Folder Too Large to Download

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

A shared-folder takes up space on your computer. If someone adds to it, the files are automaticly sync'd (downloaded) to your computer.
A shared-folder also is counted against your dropbox limit. You can use selective-sync to stop the new loads to a shared-folder.

Beth S.14
New member | Level 1

If I upgrade, will I be able to download the whole folder? (that currently says it's too large to download)

Rick M.

Take a look at
https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/49

If you upgrade to a PRO account you will have more space, as long as your hard drive is large enough!

Rich
Super User II
You can use selective-sync to stop the new loads to a shared-folder.

This is not a true statement. Selective Sync will only allow you to remove a folder from your local computer. Anything new added to that shared folder will still be accessible in your account (provided you have space for it).

It's saying a folder is too large to download.

When you download a folder from Dropbox it is first compressed into a Zip file. Dropbox can only create Zip files of a certain size. So what they're telling you is that the folder in question would end up creating a Zip file larger than they can support. You will need to download the files individually, or install the Dropbox client on your computer and allow the folder to sync to your computer automatically.

Again, this all assumes that you have enough space in your account. If your Dropbox is full, anything new added to the shared folder will not sync to you.

Nina W.2
New member | Level 1

I have the same frustrations. I use a paid version of Dropbox because it was an efficient way to share entire folders of images with others - without requiring they also have a membership to the cloud sharing service. NOTE: My issue is not my own Dropbox account (I have a PRO membership that I am now seriously considering dropping due to this issue) - it is to share with others without requiring them to open a Dropbox account. It appears this is not a logical solution/benefit for using the Dropbox service. I will look for other cloud services and drop my paid subscription to Dropbox. Not cool, Dropbox!

Rick M.

Nina, you can share a file or a folder with others who do not need to have a dropbox account by sending them the LINK to the file/folder.
This link will require only that they have enough space on their harddrive. If they try to download an entire folder, it will be zipped and that's where problems happen. Otherwise they can browse withIN the folder and download files at will.

Nina W.2
New member | Level 1

Rick, I do share the link for others to download the folder. When I was informed of the download issue, I assumed it was a "user error". So I signed out of Dropbox and tried to download the folder myself. I have more than sufficient space on my hard drive for the zipped (and unzipped) file and it would not download. Upon searching in the Dropbox forums, this is a Dropbox restriction/limitation. MANY people have complained about the same issue. I'm guessing Dropbox does this in order to force people to open Dropbox accounts and/or upgrade. This totally defeats the purpose for using Dropbox over other cloud services for sharing.

Rick M.

Nina, you are correct. Dropbox decided to use a .zip file for folders to preserve a snapshot of the folder at a point in time, so that it is not screwed up if new files arrive or are deleted by the owner. However, the zip-technology introduces a size restriction. One workaround
is to put files into subfolders. (Note that an upgrade does not circumvent the size restriction.)

alseambusher
New member | Level 2

Yes! it is possible but it might be a little hard if you are not tech savy.

I wrote a simple javascript code that scans for all the files in the current dropbox page and downloads them one by one. 

By doing this way you don't have to save it to your dropbox in order to download it.

http://lifepluslinux.blogspot.com/2016/10/how-to-download-large-folders-on-dropbox.html

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

FonkDalphin New member | Level 2
    alseambusher New member | Level 2
    Rick M. Experienced Collaborator | Level 13
    Nina W.2 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?