cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder has too many files to download - iOS Version 12.1.4

Folder has too many files to download - iOS Version 12.1.4

Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to sync my Dropbox professional with my new iPad (iOS 12.1.4) and the message I’m getting is “Folder has too many files to download)

I checked the forum, however, I have not found a solution to the issue.

I look forward to some assistance.

9 Replies 9

Re: Folder has too many files to download - iOS Version 12.1.4

Dropboxer

Initially, please note that the mobile app allows you to preview content in your account directly on your mobile device but, unlike the desktop app, it doesn’t automatically sync files to your device.

For this reason, could you please clarify what you’re trying to achieve? Are you trying to export files or folders locally from your mobile app, or download content from the website via your mobile’s browser

Furthermore, at which point do you get this error message and could you please send me a screenshot of it (omitting personal info) so as to have a better understanding of your concern? 

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Am I able to connect with you through email?  I have sensitive issues with clients information.  I have taken screenshots and marked them up...and I would like to be able to email you re: the issues I’m having with syncing....thanks in advance

Dropboxer

Before we take this to email, could you please clarify what you’re trying to do? Are you trying to offline files, export them, download them from a web browser? 

Any additional info (without including any of your own or your clients’ details) would be very helpful just so that I understand what the behavior you’re experiencing is. 

Thanks again!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
Hi Lusil,

I’m not super tech savvy...but I’ll give it a go...

I have the Dropbox app on my new iPad...so I have turned on the “make available offline” feature.

I have several root folders with many sub folders (clients) and then subfolders (matters) then further sub folders for types of documents and then files.

I would like to be able to access files when I do not have access to WiFi (like we are able to when we use a shortcut to desktop)

I am also in the process of moving files from one set of root folder to another root folder as I migrate to a different CRM package (specifically for lawyers)

Thanks in advance for your help

Dropboxer
Thanks for clarifying this for me, @Peffers!

Please bear in mind that you can make up to 100 folders available offline, and a folder can't be saved for offline use if:
  • The folder contains more than 10,000 files.
  • The folder contains more than 100 GB.
Having said that, could you please try offlining folders in smaller batches, instead of the whole folder in one go?

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

The issue with the one root folder is that it’s linked to the CRM software that we use and there are definitely more than 100 sub folders (clients), and I have no idea if there are more or less than 10,000 files.

If there the ability to have Dropbox as a folder within “files” On My iPad rather than using the Dropbox app with “offline” capabilities?  Somewhat the same as we use Dropbox on laptops and desktops?

I look forward to your continued advice.

Thanks in advance

Dropboxer
Hey again @Peffers,

In general, if you’d like to access your files on your mobile device, you can do so from your mobile device’s web browser (similar to how you access your Dropbox account from your computer’s web browsers) or the mobile app

@Peffers wrote:

If there the ability to have Dropbox as a folder within “files” On My iPad rather than using the Dropbox app with “offline” capabilities?

Unlike the desktop app, the mobile app doesn’t auto-store files locally on your device and so, currently, if you’d like to have files available offline, you need to turn the Available offline option on for them.

I understand that this may not be the ideal answer you were looking for, but I do hope this helped clarify matters. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

thats not good may a well use apple storage

New member | Level 2

i guess that is because apple support only 5gb.

so try syncing dropbox on internet server.

regards

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?