cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder icons being displaced

Folder icons being displaced

JoelMuller
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I am having an issue where my folder icons on Dropbox app on pc are easily displaced, and are no longer the icon for a respective folder. Instead, they are placed into the folder as a picture image called "preview." Furthermore, for folder icons that are still present for their respective folders, they still contain this file "preview" inside the folder and if I delete this image, the icon disappears. The displacement occurs when moving the folder to a new location in Dropbox, or uploading Dropbox to a new computer. The displacement issue is not a Windows issue, as I am able to create non-Dropbox folder icons, and move folders around without them being displaced on my computer. I am aware that I can add each file icon back manually in Dropbox, but this is a very long process when I have hundreds if not thousands of icons, and this does not solve the issue of eliminating the file called "preview." I am hoping for a future Dropbox solution or update to solve this issue, so that the icons are not displaced even when moving the folders in Dropbox, or when uploading Dropbox to a new computer.

Joel Muller

6 Replies 6

Re: Folder icons being displaced

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @JoelMuller, let's check into this issue together!

Is the Dropbox desktop application syncing when this issue takes place? 

Can you let me know if you have any other third-party apps syncing on your device?

Any screenshots of the "preview" file would be wonderful, just make sure that none of your personal info is shown there. 

Let me know, and we'll take it from there.

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JoelMuller
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori,

Thanks for your response.default imagedefault imageDetails of "default" fileDetails of "default" file

Yes, the Dropbox desktop application is syncing when these issues take place.

I do have icloud as an app on my computer (originally on my computer) but I have not set it up to sync my files. A while ago I did have onedrive syncing also but I removed it from my computer, and my current issues have persisted.

I have attached a screenshot image (picture 1) of what a preview file looks like. The image shows a folders, with the screenshot next to it. The second picture is what the details (information) looks like for the default file when I click on it. 

Joel Muller

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @JoelMuller, thank you so much for all the details! 

To help isolate this issue, can you quit the Dropbox application? (Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray, then on your profile picture or initials to the right of the search bar and select "Quit Dropbox" or "sign out" ) 

Let me know if the issue remains once you quit. 

Have you tried contacting our Support Team? You can see your options here

Let me know how this goes, I'll wait for your update!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JoelMuller
Explorer | Level 3
Spoiler
Hi Lori,

I have tried quitting my Dropbox application as discussed and it has not solved the issue.

Yes, I have used Dropbox support with this issue, and they suggested I try various things in order to solve the issue, including reinstalling the Dropbox application on my pc which I did. After exhausting these things, they then recommended that I bring my concern to the Idea Board.

Best,

Joel Muller

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @JoelMuller, thank you for the updates! 

We have noted your feedback on this. If you have any other ideas regarding the Dropbox desktop application don't hesitate to share them with us. 

Enjoy your weekend!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

JoelMuller
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Lori,

Sounds good.

Joel Muller

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JoelMuller Explorer | Level 3
    Lori Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?