cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folders/albums not showing in phone gallery. Instead one big album with all photos.

Folders/albums not showing in phone gallery. Instead one big album with all photos.

la69
New member | Level 2

Greetings, my first post here!

I have used Dropbox for a long time but have had problems for long now with how the pictures are showing in my phone. 

On my Samsung galaxy S5, in gallery there is an album/folder called Dropbox under which all the photos are. If I click this album I see every picture that are uploaded. But at Dropbox.com I have organized them in albums or folders. So if I looking for the pictures I took 2 years ago that I put in a specific folder I will have to scroll through thousands of pictures before I find it.

On my Samsung galaxy S3 and S4 instead they show in gallery with the folder names that I sorted at Dropbox.com. So on those phones it is easy for me to find older pictures as I know in what folder they are.

For example, in my computers dropbox location I can see the sub-folder "Camera uploads".  I now create sub-folder named sub1 under that one so that location for new folder will be Dropbox\camerauploads\sub1. Now I put 10 pictures in Dropbox folder. I put 10 pictures in "Camera uploads" folder. And lastly I put 10 pictures in sub1 folder.  The web-based cloud updates when sync is complete between computer and cloud.

Then when viewing gallery the pictures shows up like this: On S3 and S4: One album called Dropbox. There are 10 pictures here. One album called "Camera uploads" with the 10 pictures I put there. And lastly 10 pictures in an album called sub1 in which the last 10 pictures are. But on my Galaxy S5, there is only one album: Dropbox and it has 30 pictures in it. 

How can I get gallery in S5 to make my albums (or folders if that is the correct term here) appear as I have sorted them in computer and web-based client, so that they appear like they do in my S3 and S4?

This is driving my nuts, haha, but seriously it makes it hard to effectively use the service as scrolling through thousands of pictures just takes too long. I hope someone is able to share a solution.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Folders/albums not showing in phone gallery. Instead one big album with all photos.

Rich
Super User II

la69 wrote:

On my Samsung galaxy S5, in gallery there is an album/folder called Dropbox under which all the photos are.

Dropbox has no such feature. It doesn't create albums within the Gallery app on your phone. More than likely, that's a feature of Samsung's DocumentSync which provides a deeper integration with Dropbox. You'll need to contact them for support with this issue.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Re: Folders/albums not showing in phone gallery. Instead one big album with all photos.

Rich
Super User II

la69 wrote:

On my Samsung galaxy S5, in gallery there is an album/folder called Dropbox under which all the photos are.

Dropbox has no such feature. It doesn't create albums within the Gallery app on your phone. More than likely, that's a feature of Samsung's DocumentSync which provides a deeper integration with Dropbox. You'll need to contact them for support with this issue.

miaggi2
New member | Level 2

Has anyone come up with a solution to this?  so that the gallery dropbox is organized? i would love the assitance

la69
New member | Level 2

Thanks, Rick.

Miaggi2, I haven't seen anything yet to sort this. As Rick suggests it seems to be a Samsung feature that worked on older variants of S-series. I just bought two Galaxy S7:s and it was the same with them, making Dropbox almost unusable with these phones (S4, S5, S7, I don't know about S6) unless one chooses to use the Dropbox app instead. The app sorts better.

However, I use the gallery and prefer to do so, which means I am not using Dropbox for much any longer than storing stuff I need access on the fly to.

Kind of sad but Dropbox is not to blame for that it seems.

Ed
Dropboxer
Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access the survey here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

Thank you!

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

la69
New member | Level 2

Too low, too slow! I did so already! 😎

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

la69 New member | Level 2
    Ed Dropboxer
    miaggi2 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?