cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folders on external hard drive

Folders on external hard drive

bobp92065
New member | Level 2
I want to have my dropbox folders on an external hard drive. Will it work? How can I do it?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Folders on external hard drive

Mark
Super User II
Its strongly recommended that you do not due to a very high risk of data loss and corruption.

However, to move it you simply follow the prompts within the Dropbox preferences menu.

Please make sure after you've moved it that the drive never disconnects while Dropbox is running and the drive is always available before Dropbox launches.

See: https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
Its strongly recommended that you do not due to a very high risk of data loss and corruption.

However, to move it you simply follow the prompts within the Dropbox preferences menu.

Please make sure after you've moved it that the drive never disconnects while Dropbox is running and the drive is always available before Dropbox launches.

See: https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

sreynolds100
New member | Level 2

I'm still getting blocked by an error message that won't allow me to move my Dropbox folder to my external drive, which is incredibly annoying. Any suggestions on work arounds for this?

Mark
Super User II
Try making sure you are on the most recent versions of Dropbox which you can get from https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Beta-testers/ct-p/101003000. Note that sometimes if its deemed by the software that a disconnection is very likely it wont work.

What exactly is the error message?

sreynolds100
New member | Level 2

Error message.JPG

Thanks for the quick response and suggestion Mark. I was on the latest stable version, but I uninstalled it and installed the latest Beta and still ran into the same error. I've attached it so you can see. I have a 200GB SSD card in my micro-SD slot in my Surface Book that I'm trying to move my Dropbox folder to since I have so little space left on my laptop hard drive. 

Rich
Super User II
While Dropbox will allow you to use an external hard drive, it will not allow you to use a removable drive such as an SD card, flash drive, etc. There are workarounds (search the forums), but they are not supported and highly not recommended.

Flyingedge
New member | Level 2
I have a netbook to wich I attach an external drive to which has my dropbox on it. Can I move that external drive to another laptop/computer?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Flyingedge New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    sreynolds100 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?