cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Four services in Windows? (Five w/ Dbxsvc.exe)

Four services in Windows? (Five w/ Dbxsvc.exe)

Josh L.20
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Wht are there now FOUR services running for Dropbox in Windows?

Dropbox used to be only a single service, and now it's up to four (5 with Dbxsvc).

This is beginning to become nonsense.

dropbox-garbage.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, they should use minimal resources.

Amongst the processes you'll see:
- One, the one using decent resources, is our application.
- We'll run a updater process, it's separate and will ensure, if a critical issue occurs we can separately update the app back into a working state. It'll also independently pull down any updates.
- One will be a crash logger, it'll up any critical crashes to us, so we have logging incase an issue occurs. (if the app is in a non-functioning state we wouldn't have confidence it would up any exceptions it hit).

Hope this helps you.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Saturn
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Why are there so many Dropbox-related services and scheduled tasks in Windows now? I've disabled them all, and my Dropbox works (and updates) fine without them.

The services I see on my Windows 7 are:

Dropbox Service (DbxSvc)

C:\Windows\system32\DbxSvc.exe

Dropbox Update Service (dbupdate)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Update\DropboxUpdate.exe /svc

Dropbox Update Service (dbupdatem)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Update\DropboxUpdate.exe /medsvc

And there were two scheduled tasks:

DropboxUpdateTaskMachineCore

DropboxUpdateTaskMachineUA

(And another set of these two with a long set of numbers in front of "Core" and "UA" parts.)

Please arrange the app so that those of us who need the app "on demand" will be able to do so without having to check for such leftovers after updates (also, autorun for Dropbox after each and every update - not good).

Just like it used to be - an app running, an app not running, period. Nothing more.

Saturn
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Bump.

Anyone anything? DbxSvc keeps getting re-enabled after each and every update, the other trash remains dormant, though.

eugeneteo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It is completely beyond me that Dropbox thinks they should have TWO scheduled tasks set to run EVERY HOUR for 24 HOURS. You are wasting my resources.

What is more Dropbox doesn't care to address this question posted months and months ago.

Dropbox has become a big fat bloatware. Avoid!

Saturn
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

True, they're becoming like Microsoft in this regard - no transparency whatsoever. 😕   Well, I still keep those services at bay, and everything works perfectly without them. Also, I've noticed that Dropbox asks for internet access permissions twice AFTER shutting it down (or during the shutdown process), and I've noticed no change whether I allow that or not.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Josh L.20

I’ll be happy to look into this for you, but first, can you tell me: 

• Are you using Windows 7, or other? 

• Are you using the latest stable build of our desktop app? 

• it is currently version 43.4.50, and you can get the offline installer here 

• A beta version is denoted by a xx.3.xx, instead of the xx.4.xx. If you are on a beta build, it means that you have opted in to Early Releases in your online account settings. I recommend that you switch this off, and then install our stable build. 

Take a look at the above, and let me know.
Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, they should use minimal resources.

Amongst the processes you'll see:
- One, the one using decent resources, is our application.
- We'll run a updater process, it's separate and will ensure, if a critical issue occurs we can separately update the app back into a working state. It'll also independently pull down any updates.
- One will be a crash logger, it'll up any critical crashes to us, so we have logging incase an issue occurs. (if the app is in a non-functioning state we wouldn't have confidence it would up any exceptions it hit).

Hope this helps you.

Josh L.20
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Four services shows on both Windows 7 and Windows 10 (Pro and Home).

Windows 10 "startup impact" shows one service has HIGH impact, two have MEDIUM, and one has LOW.

RAM usage is about 140MB on Windows 10, and 120MB on Windows 7 (number of synced folders does not impact this - the Win7 machine has 40 root folders and Win10 has about 8).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Josh L.20 Collaborator | Level 9
    Ross_S Dropbox Staff
    Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    Saturn Helpful | Level 7
    eugeneteo New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?