cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh MacOS install stuck in "Checking for updates..."

Fresh MacOS install stuck in "Checking for updates..."

RK-46
New member | Level 2

Hi guys,

I just installed Dropbox on a fresh-install of MacOS Big Sur. I've been using Dropbox for years and am a super nerd and I like to think my issue doesn't stem from me forgetting to connect to the internet or something. This is my first time setting up a Mac though.

So, I installed Dropbox from the official installer and checked all the default options. It's now running and looks like it's syncing. If I expand the "syncing pane" though, my Sync Queue says "Checking for updates...". I tried waiting, rebooting my computer, reinstalling Dropbox, signing out then back in, deleting my Dropbox/ folder, fixing permissions and hard links. Nothing has any effect, it's always Checking for updates.

I also tried adding a file to my Dropbox/ folder. It didn't upload either. So both upload and download seem to be stuck behind this never-ending Checking for updates. 

Pleeeease help! 

Thanks 🙂

2 Replies 2

Re: Fresh MacOS install stuck in "Checking for updates..."

RK-46
New member | Level 2

Uhhhh. So apparently the key was... complaining. It started syncing just as I submitted this question. For anyone else out there with the same issue, I left my computer to do its thing for at least 2 hours on 3 different occasions, and I did absolutely nothing that could explain why it suddenly started working. At this point my money is on divine intervention. Thank you Universe.

Re: Fresh MacOS install stuck in "Checking for updates..."

Megan
Dropboxer
Hi @RK-46, I hope you're doing well!

Happy to see that this post brought some good energy your way. 

Also, patience is key when it comes down to syncing. 

Have a lovely weekend ahead, and if you need us, we'll always be one post away. Enjoy!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropboxer
    RK-46 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?