cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Getting Dropbox back in my Finder Favorites after upgrading my Mac software

Getting Dropbox back in my Finder Favorites after upgrading my Mac software

Brenda S.11
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

There was a Dropbox icon in my Finder Favorites that I could simply drag my files to. I upgraded my Mac software to the latest version. My Dropbox is gone from Finder Favorites and now I am not sure how to get my files into Dropbox. I just want to get Dropbox back into my Finder Favorites

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Does not work.  Dragging icon into favorites doesn't work

It most certainly does, allow me to demonstrate:

https://youtu.be/Kwl3SePQe0g

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Pete K.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

If you want to have a DB folder at your sidebar, then search for the DB folder, then just drag the folder into your sidebar. When dragging into the sidebar you will see a line coming up to show you where the folder will be between inserted. If you drag it over a folder then it will go into that folder.

diane p.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

It most certainly does, allow me to demonstrate:

https://youtu.be/Kwl3SePQe0g

Robert S.83
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

In the example that Robert S. shows on his You Tube video works IF you have a folder on your Mac labeled Dropbox.  His example does NOT work if the DB folder resides on the Dropbox site.  Instead, a gif file is saved that creates a spacer.

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

His example does NOT work if the DB folder resides on the Dropbox site.

Of course it doesn't work.

Why on earth would you try and drag anything out of a web browser window? It doesn't make a shred of sense to do so. Finder is for navigating your filesystem, not the web browser.

The Dropbox folder is a real literal folder on your computer. On a Mac, the default location is Macintosh HD > Users > "your user account" > Dropbox and it's easily added to the Finder sidebar as previously described.

Robert S.83
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Robert, it really isn't necessary to be condescending. Brenda was asking a simple question as best as she knew how.  I can only imagine that because I had the same question.  I spent quite bit of time researching this and realized where the confusion is.  Dropbox has an application that the user can download to their computer.  This application creates the dropbox folder, and once created you can then drag the folder to the favorites as you demonstrated in your you tube video.  Also,the additional information on where the dropbox folder resides is very helpful.

For anyone else researching this, the app is downloaded from the Dropbox login page.  The location and the appearance seems to have changed, but the process is the same.  

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

... was asking a simple question...

Correct. And, it was clear from reading the question it concerned the installation and use of the Dropbox software - the recommended way of using Dropbox, in fact.

Condescending, no. Endeavouring to provide a clear, appropriate and helpful response to a question posed by actually reading it, yes.

Vicki G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hey that answer doesn't seem to be helpful to me because the darn thing installed into Itunes. How the do I get it back into  my favourites section.

Jason M.47
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hey Robert...would you like to see my movie of it NOT working?? Maybe you should try it out to see if it actually works if indeed you are trying to be helpful? I followed your instructions and it does not work

Need more support?