cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting installation errors with the desktop app

Getting installation errors with the desktop app

JimT56
Explorer | Level 3

My dropbox suddenly stopped synching so uninstalled and tried to reinstall the program. But I receive the follwoing error when installing 

A dialog box with "Errors occurred" and the following contents

"See the logfile 'C:\Program FIles (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe.log' for details"

The problem is that there is no such dropbox.exe.log file in that folder. I did find one in this folder

C:\Users\JimT\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client

I am guessing that this is the pertinent part, but really don't know where to go from here

ImportError: version conflict: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\psutil._psutil_windows.pyd' C extension module was built for another version of psutil (3.1.1 instead of 5.1.0); you may try to 'pip uninstall psutil', manually remove C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\psutil._psutil_windows.pyd or clean the virtual env somehow, then reinstall

Running Windows 7

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Installation error

justfixit
Explorer | Level 4

I have struggled with this error for two days. I am running Windows 10, everything has been fine for months then suddenly on boot-up Dropbox went very slow and what ever I did I got the "see Dropbox.exe.log" message - a file which I could not find. 

I deleted everything I could, program data, app data, local data and reinstalled - same problem. Four or five delete everything and reinstall - same problem Deleted my Dropbox data folders, entries in my firewall protection (Norton), Dropbox extension in the Chrome browser, ... same problem.

Eventually, I did a search in windows explorer and deleted everything that looked a bit like a Dropbox file or directory. That seemed to fix it and I'm up and running again now.

When I did find that Dropbox.exe.log file, I'm not an expert but it suggested there was a version clash. Perhaps there was a software update in the background that didn't work as planned, and rather than Dropbox support staff sorting out their own mess, get Joe Public to work it out and post the solution on forums like this.

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Mark
Super User II
www.dropbox.com/help/3 ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

JimT56
Explorer | Level 3
I am running the latest version on Windows 7 Pro. Completely up to date.

Mark
Super User II
Apologies.... the help links at the side are pointing to the wrong page!

Try www.dropbox.com/help/72

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

JimT56
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Mark, but I am still unable to reinstall dropbox. Same error appears. And even though dropbox shows up in my Programs, if I try to run it I get the same error. 

Mark
Super User II
Did you follow the part in 'Learn More' ?

JimT56
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, I ran all 4 commands. All but the last one seemed to execute and process files. No failures. The last one processed 0 files. But I still get the same error when I try to run Dropbox.

JimT56
Explorer | Level 3

Note that when I run " %APPDATA%\Dropbox" in Windows Explorer, I do not see Dropbox.exe. However, there is a Dropbox folder on my Start menu with a targer of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe" /home"

Mark
Super User II
Have you tried deleting all of the files/folders etc. manually?

If that doesnt work I would say you need to log a ticket at http://bit.ly/cm-support which you can then track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com. Replies will take time, especially if youre a free user.

JimT56
Explorer | Level 3

I have not tried deleting manually. Do you recommend I just delete every folder and file where "dropbox" occurs?

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JimT56 Explorer | Level 3
    justfixit Explorer | Level 4
    rNodag New member | Level 2
    KA3 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?