cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting the Dropbox Icon Off My Desktop

Getting the Dropbox Icon Off My Desktop

lynnl999
Explorer | Level 3

I don't mean on the taskbar or in file explorer... I mean the desktop icon.  There should be a way to remove this?  I have no need for this on my desktop.

20180910_114300.jpg

9 Replies 9

Re: Getting the Dropbox Icon Off My Desktop

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there @lynnl999! Initially, thank you for providing the screenshot, it does direct me to some understanding of your concern. 

However, in order to ensure that I’m on the same page as you, please right click on the Dropbox folder that you see (as per your attached image), select Properties > General and send me a screenshot of the pop-up window that you see (omitting any personal info). 

Thanks in advance! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lynnl999
Explorer | Level 3

Image2.jpg

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for the swift screenshot, @lynnl999

As illustrated, since this is the Dropbox folder, if you’re looking to keep the desktop app and continue syncing your files, you can move it to another location

If you don’t want the desktop app at all installed in your computer, you can uninstall it by following the steps outlined here

Let me know if you have any other questions! :slight_smile:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lynnl999
Explorer | Level 3

@Lusil
 As illustrated, since this is the Dropbox folder, if you’re looking to keep the desktop app and continue syncing your files, you can move it to another location

Did that.  Didn't remove the icon.  Still can't remove the icon.   Now the properties tab just shows the new location.

Lusil
Dropboxer
From what I understand from your previous screenshot, this is the Dropbox folder that you’re seeing - in other words, the folder that contains your files and folders from your Dropbox account. 

Since you mention that you’ve tried to move the Dropbox folder, if your Dropbox icon that’s next to your clock on your desktop shows that it’s up to date, have you tried a reboot of your device by any chance? 

Also, could you please let me know step-by-step what you’ve carried out and what it is you’re trying to achieve? Are you seeing any error messages - and if so, please send me a screenshot of what it is you’re seeing (once again, omitting any personal/sensitive info) so as to have a better understanding of the matter at hand.

Thanks in advance for your reply, @lynnl999!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

lynnl999
Explorer | Level 3

"From what I understand from your previous screenshot, this is the Dropbox folder that you’re seeing - in other words, the folder that contains your files and folders from your Dropbox account."

No.  It is NOT the folder.  It is an unremovable shortcut to the folder, which, as my screenshot shows, resides in c:\users\myname\dropbox.  The folder does NOT live on the desktop.  Instead, that icon is a "system folder" which is really just an unremovable shortcut.  

"Since you mention that you’ve tried to move the Dropbox folder, if your Dropbox icon that’s next to your clock on your desktop shows that it’s up to date, have you tried a reboot of your device by any chance?"

Yes.  I also uninstalled and reinstalled the app.  The icon appears as soon as you complete setup.

"Also, could you please let me know step-by-step what you’ve carried out and what it is you’re trying to achieve?

As you suggested, I tried moving the folder.  I rebooted.  No change.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled the program.  No change.

What I am trying to achieve is simple:  Remove an unwanted icon from my desktop without removing the Dropbox application.  It's just a glorified shortcut that I don't need, and I prefer a minimalist desktop with as few icons as possible.  I have been using Dropbox almost as long as it has existed, and this is the first time I've ever been forced to have an icon on my desktop.  I prefer Dropbox in the taskbar, where it belongs.   

"Are you seeing any error messages"

No.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for the detailed response, @lynnl999!

In this case, I’d kindly recommend giving an advanced reinstallation a try, since it’d install the app from the beginning in a way, removing any previous settings that may be causing any conflict to the app. It may just do the trick. 

If that doesn’t work, I’d kindly suggest continuing via email (I can contact you directly to the email address associated with your Forum profile) as account-specific and sensitive info may be required to troubleshoot. 

Let me know how it goes and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

mchatterton
New member | Level 2

I was able to remove this through a slightly ironic way. 

If you right click on the icon, you can select - Send to Dropbox. This will remove the icon from the desktop and place it in your Dropbox folder. You can then delete the icon at will. 

lovedolphin
New member | Level 2

You can select the desktop icon in the desktop settings, uncheck the icons you want to hide, and hope to adopt my suggestion, thank you

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lovedolphin New member | Level 2
    mchatterton New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropboxer
    lynnl999 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?