cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting too many notifications when using Smart Sync

JanaCallmeJ New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi everybody

I'm really disturbed by the notifications on my desktop apparing on my screan up to every application. I disabled the notifications in "Notification" menu for my iMac, and also in Dropbox parameters, but still : it goes !! So boring, it hides a large part of my screan when I have to work (actualy synchronising a lot withSmart Sync : new iMac) . Help ?Capture d’écran 2018-08-07 à 12.16.02.png Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Notifications

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @JanaCallmeJ! Just to check, since you mention that your device is new, have you disabled notifications on that device as well from your Dropbox desktop app? If you have, are you able to close the notifications as shown on your screenshot? If you are, I’d kindly recommend you close them via the Close option provided. If you encounter trouble with this, let me know! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @JanaCallmeJ! Just to check, since you mention that your device is new, have you disabled notifications on that device as well from your Dropbox desktop app? If you have, are you able to close the notifications as shown on your screenshot? If you are, I’d kindly recommend you close them via the Close option provided. If you encounter trouble with this, let me know! 

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

dvpp666
Explorer | Level 4

I'm trying to turn off Smart Sync notifications, and I get this in the notification center? Why are there two?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there @dvpp666!

Could you please send me a screenshot of what you’re seeing (excluding personal info) so as to have a better understanding of the behavior you’re experiencing? 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil

dvpp666
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil, 

Here is what I see in the notification center.... two screenshots, one for each repeat of Dropbox.

Regards,

David

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey David, thanks for getting back to me on this, although unfortunately I can’t see any screenshots attached. 

Could you try once more based on the screenshot attached below, and if you’re still having trouble, I’d recommend moving this discussion to email. 
Attach image.png

Let me know of any update!

Lusil

dvpp666
Explorer | Level 4

hi,

i think i got it right this time. Two entries for Dropbox in notification center. I was able to turn off the Smart Sync notifications, but it's odd that there are two entries here on my MBP (and not on my Desktop iMac)

Screenshot 2018-11-16 at 6.37.54 AM.pngScreenshot 2018-11-16 at 6.38.14 AM.png

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshots, @dvpp666! Definitely provides a better understanding of the behavior you’re experiencing. 

Could you please carry out an advanced reinstall and see if that does the trick? Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

dvpp666
Explorer | Level 4

Can try Advanced reinstall  The nuclear option?

I'm okay with some terminal stuff, but I'm already stuck...

My Dropbox folder is in my Documents folder 

“/Users/dvirshup/Documents/Dropbox”

but when I do this:

dmv-mbp-2017:~ dvirshup$ sudo chown -R "$USER" “/Users/dvirshup/Documents/Dropbox”

I get this:

chown: “/Users/dvirshup/Documents/Dropbox”: No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong?

below is picture of path to Dropbox folder

Screenshot 2018-11-17 at 9.png

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that you’re still having trouble with this, @dvpp666. Initially, please note that I’ve removed some info included in your post for security and privacy purposes. 

Moving on to your concern though, it looks like you may have some files in your folder that may have their permissions incorrectly set. You can fix that with the following:

1) Stop the Dropbox desktop application (if needed). You can do this by clicking on the Dropbox icon > choosing Quit/Stop/Exit.

2) Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal).

3) Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal, one at a time, and press RETURN after each one. Please ensure you copy and paste these commands (don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. You'll be prompted for your computer user's password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. Keep in mind that the password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER. You'll know that these instructions complete normally once the initial line of text (called prompt) comes up again:

sudo chflags -R nouchg ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

sudo chmod -RN ~/.dropbox ~/Dropbox

chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

Please note that once the prompt displays, the instruction completed the requested task, and is ready for the next command. If the command returns an error, or doesn’t respond after an hour, you may want to try restarting your computer and try these steps again.

Once this is complete, try advance uninstall once again. 

If you have any further questions, or if you see an error after running one of these commands, or you have an update in general, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?