cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Sheets/Dropbox Limitations? - Importing Data & Protected Cells

Google Sheets/Dropbox Limitations? - Importing Data & Protected Cells

simplydg
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I'm trying to solve an issue whereby Google Sheets created in Dropbox are lacking several key Google Sheets features:

• The "Protected Sheets and Ranges..." option is missing from the Data dropdown and the options on the individual sheet tabs.
  • When attempting to use IMPORTRANGE to import data from a Dropbox created Google Sheet, I receive an error, "Spreadsheet cannot be found."

Is there a workaround for either of these? Protected cells is most important for me, as I am trying to create dropdowns that can't be edited in a shared sheet. I was trying to solve that with IMPORTDATA when I learned that doesn't work either.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Re: Google Sheets/Dropbox Limitations? - Importing Data & Protected Cells

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hello there @simplydg, I hope you're having a good day!

Can you let me know if you're able to see the Protected Sheets and Ranges option if you open the file in another web browser or incognito window?

Also, when you get the error using the IMPORTRANGE function, are you trying to import from another document or just another sheet of the same file?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

simplydg
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne,

Thanks for the quick response! I tried both Chrome and Safari, both normal and incognito/private, and none of the protection options were available (sheet level or individual cell level) in any of those modes/browsers.

IMPORTRANGE is used to import data from other Google Sheets files. Sorry if I have the vernacular wrong on that. Other sheets within a single file just require an "=Sheet!A1:Z9" type of command to import a range between tabs within the same file. The IMPORTRANGE function does not work to pull data from one DropBox file to another.

For instance, I would use IMPORTRANGE to build a dropdown from a master sheet of options built out in a separate file, allowing me to replicate the dropdown across multiple Sheets files and then update all the dropdowns by only updating the master file, not needing to go in and update each file individually.

Thanks!

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @simplydg!

Just so we can check on this, I'd suggest reaching out to our Support team. You can check out the options available for your plan from here.

You can let me know the ticket number (eg. #1234567) you receive so that I can pass along the info you've provided here already.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?