cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Google Sheets in Dropbox: can't paste outside data as values

Google Sheets in Dropbox: can't paste outside data as values

ahat
Explorer | Level 3

In a dropbox-google-sheets doc, I can't paste as values from outside the doc. In other words, I can copy a range in the doc and paste it as values within the doc. But I can't copy anything from another application or another browser window and paste it as values into the doc.

In fact, the paste-as-values clipboard will persist even after I copy other data to my clipboard. To replicate:

1. Copy range in dropbox-google-sheets doc
  2. Copy text from another browser window
  3. Select paste as values in dropbox-google-sheets doc
  4. Original range copied in step 1 will paste into doc

This is different behavior than a google sheets doc stored in google drive. I am constantly pasting data into spreadsheets and not wanting to have to fix formatting every time so this ends up being a pretty cumbersome bug.

4 Replies 4

Megan
Dropboxer
Hey @ahat, I hope you're doing well!

Do you notice the same behavior in multiple browsers? 

Feel free to send me a screenshot, recreating the steps you follow. It'll help me get a better perspective.

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ahat
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori,

Hopefully this helps:

1. I copy a range from Excel
    Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 3.58.56 PM.png

2. I attempt to "Paste values only" in a dropbox-google-sheets doc. No paste action occurs.
    Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 3.59.50 PM.png

3. I perform the same "Paste values only" action in a google-drive-google-sheets doc, it pastes as expected. Values only, no formatting. This is the desired behavior I can't reproduce in a dropbox-google-sheets doc.
    Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 4.01.22 PM.png

4. If I instead do a normal paste into the dropbox-google-sheets doc, the values from Excel paste as expected, with formatting. Essentially, Dropbox is forcing me to paste with formatting. It will not allow me to paste without formatting in the same way google drive will.
    Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 4.03.17 PM.png

5. After pasting into the document from Excel, I can then copy this range in the dropbox-google-sheets doc and "Paste values only" into the same dropbox-google-sheets doc. It pastes without formatting as expected. This is the only case where "Paste values only" works. I have to copy and paste within a dropbox-google-sheets document. I can't copy from any outside source.
    Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 4.05.37 PM.png

6. If I try to copy a string of text from outside the dropbox-google-sheets doc...
    Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 4.07.02 PM.png

7. ...and then try to "Paste values only" into the dropbox-google-sheets doc, the range I previously copied from the dropbox-google-sheets doc pastes instead of the string of text. This implies that Dropbox is maintaining a separate clipboard for the "Paste values only" action that persists even when I perform a copy action outside of the dropbox-google-sheets doc.
    Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 4.09.03 PM.png

8. If I perform a normal paste into dropbox-google-sheets doc, the string of text pastes as expected.
    Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 4.09.47 PM.png

Essentially, I want to be able to perform the "Paste values only" action in the same way that I can in google sheets. Google sheets allows me to copy from outside the document and then paste those values into the google sheets document without formatting. This is currently impossible within Dropbox.

Edit: And yes, this behavior is consistent across browsers

Megan
Dropboxer
Hey @ahat, Thank you for all of the detailed screenshots; excellent work!

This does not appear to be a Dropbox issue; rather, it appears to be related to the way Google Sheets behave.

Your feedback regarding this has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard. 

I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ahat
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori, Thanks for taking a look. I just want to be super clear: The behavior I'm highlighting is behavior that is different between a Google-hosted Google Sheet document and a Dropbox-hosted Google Sheet document. So even if it is a Google Sheet issue, something is breaking within the Dropbox integration. The same exact document in Google Drive does not behave the same way.

Need more support?