cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Grey X on desktop files, folders and shortcuts

Explorer | Level 3

Hi guys, I'm jumping in here becuase I'm having the same problem. I did try the solution you give, to simply right-click and from the context menu for Smartsync select "Local". But this begs the question: is Smartsync actually working? My understanding is that the whole idea of Smartsync is to leave a reference file on your machine, so that you can see the file exits in your online Dropbox account, but that it is not actually on your machine (hence the saving space on your hard disks part). In the case of files and folders with the notorious grey Xs, they DO seem to be on your disk, even when you select "Offline only" and get the grey X, as opposed to the tick you get when you put them as "Local". In both cases, they're taking up space on your disk. I just talked to someone at Dropbox about this and did not get much of a clear answer: just that this was not Dropbox related, but rather an issue with Microsoft. That's why I came looking for an answer on this forum. Anyone have more on this? My core question at this stage is this: how can I actually use Smartsync if all Smartsync currently seems to do on my machine is to add a grey X or remove it from files and folders, without actually changing anything to the space these files and fodlers take on my internal HDDs? Thanks

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Just wanted to add that I do currently have OneDrive on my machine, even though I'm not using it. This may be the culprit from what I've seen. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @lucas-smartcuts, thanks for joining us here!

I'd be more than happy to look into this with you and see what we can find.

Could you just try the following and let me know if this helps at all with the sync icons you see there:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "Account" tab and click anywhere within that window.
  5. While holding down the space bar key, click "Fix permissions".

If this doesn't help, would you mind sending me a screenshot of the sync icon and the current sync status of your desktop app?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and was informed that all permissions had been fixed. The grey Xs remain however (see attachment). My Dropbox status keeps oscillating between Up-to-date and Syncing at about 2-3sec intervals now. Not sure if this is linked to "Fix permissions" command, but I did not have this happening before. I do have colleagues putting stuff on Dropbox so it's possible that this syncing is normal, though the oscillation part does seem strange, and I've never had it happen before. 

Thanks,

Edited by moderatorEdited by moderatorLucas

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

After a while Dropbox icon in tray stopped switching back and forth from Up-to-date to Syncing and stayed on Up-to-Date. But the grey Xs remain.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for trying that @lucas-smartcuts, it was worth a try!

Can you let me know if you tried the steps mentioned by Jay in the solution, to right click in an empty space on the desktop and choose "Refresh"?

If you do indeed have One Drive running on your computer, can you try closing any processes that are running from your task manager and refreshing as above?

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi there, just to clarify: some people in the thread have stated that "switching to local" while using smart-sync has solved their problem. This is obviously wrong. Switching to local simply downloads the full file and thus is more or less the same as switching off smart-sync for that particular folder or file.

I'm having the same problem with the gray X's and have also contacted the support, first through twitter and now apparently they're going to contact me by mail.

I've also disabled OneDrive, even avoiding it to launch upon booting Windows but the problem is still the same. Gray X's appear on those files that are "online-only" when using smart-sync. I guess there is some kind of problem which doesn't render the correct cloud icon onto those files. Aside from this, it seems to be working as expected. I can see that when I want to open a file, for example a picture, it takes a second to open and I see Dropbox syncing that single file.

The problem is that the cloud icon is not displayed on online only files when using smart sync. I would prefer having that cute cloud instead of an ugly X.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Don't know if this could help to find the source of the problem:

I just checked some files, which I had copied from Dropbox to somewhere else (outside the dbx folder, because I had mistakenly downloaded a beta version of Dropbox and was scared it would mess all my data) which still show the gray X, even if they are located on the harddrive and have nothing "in common" with Dropbox currently -- which means, they are not being synced or anything and are just 'dumb' files. It only happens on files, but not on folders.

Could be some sort of problem with the metadata that gets stuck with the file?

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Did another test: switch a "local" folder to "online only" and after it synced back to "local". The green check mark appears as long as the folder is local, if not, no icon appears. On the files inside of that folder the green checkmark appears on most files but strangely enough, not on all -- instead of this, the gray X mark appears. All files seem to be local since they load immediately and dropbox doesn't sync anything before opening them. (JPG files for the test, but the folder contains different types)

Also, refreshing the screen doesn't change the icons. There are PDF, jpgs, txt and and excel file. Three JPGs have the gray X and one doesn't -- out of four. It doesn't seem to be related to any specific file type.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for joining us @Marcos M.7, that's some great troubleshooting!

Since you still see the grey x icon when you move them outside of Dropbox, then it would suggest that the icon overlay is from another app.

Would you and @lucas-smartcuts mind checking the following to see if all the Dropbox overlay icons are within the first 15 items in the list here:

1. Press the Windows key + R and enter regedit.
  2. Navigate to the following registry key with this path:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers     

3. Scroll right for complete command line.
  4. If the Dropbox overlays are in the first 15 positions, they will display; otherwise you'll need to make room for them. This requires you to delete or deprioritize other applications' overlays, so only proceed if you’re sure about what you'll affect.
  5. If you decide to proceed, you can select individual keys and delete them by right-clicking on the desired key. If you don’t want to delete them, you can rename them and place a at the beginning to send them to the end of the alphabetically sorted list.
  6. Quit explorer.exe and launch again from the Task Manager, or restart your computer.
  7. Launch Dropbox, and the sync icons should re-appear.

Let me know if this helps at all - cheers!

Daphne

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?