cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Grey X on desktop files, folders and shortcuts

Helpful | Level 6

Thaaaaaaaaank you soo much!!!!! That finally solved the X-Files problem LOL!

There where duplicate entries belonging to OneDrive, that where numbered like OneDrive1, OneDrive2, and so on... and had 3 spaces in the front of their name. Just removed those spaces, so Dropbox got the top positions -- restarted the laptop and the icons are all showing up correctly!!!!

PS: for the sake of completeness -- i also re-activated onedrive, and it seems to function as usual, its own icons also showing up and so on..

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, Thanks for the help all. I cannot find ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers under the path you gave us. When I get into Explorer, the only Shell subfolder I can see is Shell Folders, and it does not contain any subfolders. 

Also, let me emphasize that my issue with the grey Xs isn't so much their look. They may, in fact, be totally irrelevant, except that they seem to be somehow linked to whether Dropbox indicates a particular file as being local or not. 

I have attached a good example. This is a screenshot from a folder containing various files of camera footage. As you can see, all grey Xs. When I right-click each one and go to the Smartsync contexual menu, it says these files are "Online Only". However, when I check properties of the folder containing these files, it says the folder is 125Gb large. Meaning these files are NOT online, but definitely on my hard drive. 

Or is this a mistake on my part? What I mean is this: does Dropbox require that each file, whether "Online only" or "Local", be allocated its share of space on the local machine drives? This would seem to defeat the purpose of "Online only" but just checking.

So to summarize, I don't care about the grey Xs. What I care about is the fact that files marked with a grey X are considered "Online only" by Smartsync, and yet they take up space on my drives. The BIG problem being that I cannot, therefore, actually use Smartsync should I choose to. 

Thanks,

Lucas

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Screenshot now attached. Sorry

Edited by moderatorEdited by moderator

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey peeps, thanks for all the additional info!

Firstly, I'm very glad to hear that this resolved the issue for you @Marcos M.7!

Just to clarify and make sure everything is working as expected, are you able to apply Smart Sync to your files and see the grey cloud icon?

Now, @lucas-smartcuts let's double check whether Smart Sync is working correctly on your device.

When you have a look at the "Properties" of the files/folder, can you let me know what you see under "Size on disk"? It should show the logical size of the file/folder as well as the reduced space they actually take on the disk.

If you don't see the reduces size, please send me a screenshot of the properties window.

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Screenshots attached. As you can see the files are well and truly there, taking up space on my disk (Capture 1 & 2), but the grey Xs are still there (Capture 3), and the contextual menu upon right-click says that these files are "Online only" (can't get a screenshot of that, but trust me, I've checked).  Thanks for looking into this for me. I appreciate your patience and perseverence. 

Edited by moderatorEdited by moderatorEdited by moderatorEdited by moderatorEdited by moderatorEdited by moderatorL

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Perfect, thanks for those screenshots @lucas-smartcuts!

I'm more than happy to help with this, it's a bit of a strange case as it seems that Smart Sync indeed isn't working correctly there.

Could you please try doing a basic re-install of the desktop app to see if this will resolve the issue you're having there? You just need to uninstall the app and then re-install from here.

Please just note, if you're running a beta version of the app denoted xx.3.xxx, please just toggle off "Early releases" from the bottom of the page here before installing again.

Let me know if this does the trick - cheers!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I had the same issue with the gray Xs. I just closed down the OneDrive app. After that, Dropbox automatically re-loaded all of my files, and was able to download and sync them correctly.

The problem was that I had restarted my computer, so the 100% useless OneDrive app automatically opened, making all my files corrupted. 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, Sorry it took me a while to reply. We have 25 TB on Dropbox right now, so re-syncing all the files meant the re-install took a long time. Alas it made no difference. The grey Xs are still there. So my status is now "Up-to-date" on version 85.4.155. I no longer have OneDrive running, just Back up and Sync from Google for photos. As a test, I switched one of the video files in the folder I'd provided a screenshot of from Online only to Local. So here's what it does (see new screenshot). It then syncs to my machine fine. But the folder still says it weighs 125GB, whereas this one synced file only weighs 971MB, so I still have the same problem: the files are supposedly Online only, but actually they're taking up space on my HDDs. 

Indidentally, we're thinking of switching over from having Dropbox on our local machines to installing it on a NAS full of SDDs configured in RAID 0. This may then simply make the problem disappear, so I'm not overly concerned or affected. I'd just like to know why this is happening in case it happens again at some point. Edited by moderatorEdited by moderator

Thanks for your help. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm glad to be hearing from you again @lucas-smartcuts!

Just to double check, if you have a look at the properties of one of the "online only" files again do you still not see "Size on disk" showing it's reduced?

If not, I'd be more than happy to have a look further into this with you through our Support channel so that we can get that working properly again. 

Would you mind if I reached out to the email associated with your Community profile?

Let me know - cheers!

Daphne

Highlighted

I am using selective sync and need some help. Any ideas?

Explorer | Level 4

I am using selective sync.  I am have changed online only setting to OFF.  My files are only downloading to my laptop after selecting them.  The file icon is a grayed sheet with a gray X.Capture.JPG

What do I need to do so files in folders checked in Selective Sync download automatically?

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?