cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HEIC upload option not visible on iOS, and photos are uploaded as JPEG

HEIC upload option not visible on iOS, and photos are uploaded as JPEG

rudidrop09
Explorer | Level 3

I want to upload HEIC photos as they are (without conversion to JPEG) on latest iOS. Currently HEIC photos are converted to JPEG when uploaded.

This support article says that there's camera option where i can pick it, but i don't have that option in my settings: 

https://www.dropbox.com/help/photos-videos/ios-formats

Copy and paste of relevant part:

1. Open the Dropbox app.
  2. Tap the person icon.
  3. Tap the gear icon.
  4. Tap Camera Uploads.
  5. Select Save HEIC Photos as.

Screenshot of my settings:

IMG_07DD4CBE697B-1.jpeg

10 Replies 10

Re: HEIC upload option not visible on iOS, and photos are uploaded as JPEG

Mark
Super User II

Hi @rudidrop09

At least on my version here it looks like the option has moved slightly. 

Click on the Personal button at the bottom and then towards the bottom you can select 'Camera Uploads' and choose the format 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

rudidrop09
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for checking! I see Account > Camera Uploads, but no format specification. Screenshots attached:

IMG_B2D0B5BAA5D8-1.pngIMG_B2D0B5BAA5D8-2.jpegIMG_B2D0B5BAA5D8-3.jpeg

Mark
Super User II

Which version of Dropbox you using? 

That looks quite dated

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

rudidrop09
Explorer | Level 3

Just redownloaded the app, my app version is 124.2.2, and it's 124.2 on app store (same before redownload too). Look is slightly different, but options are same. HEIC / JPEG picker is not present.

PNG image 2.pngPNG image.png

Mark
Super User II

Thats because you are still not in the right menus..... You need to click on the 'Camera Uploads' option to get the choices @rudidrop09 - and currently you've got it turned off.

Note that the ONLY files that will be saved as HEIC ones are the ones auto uploaded not any others.

rudidrop09
Explorer | Level 3

Would control be here?

IMG_2050.png

Although if only here, best thing for me to do is do support request with dropbox to support HEIC upload, since i wouldn't use it for automated upload.

haru3
New member | Level 2

Having the same issue here, I have downloaded the most current version 134.2.2, and my screen looks just like rudidrop09. There is no option to "Save HEIC photo as" in either the settings screen (gear icon) or the camera uploads settings with the option turned on. 

Rich
Super User II

Running 134.2.2 and 136.1.2, and I have the option available.

2019-03-22 22.32.16.png

Digging a little deeper, I signed out of my Professional account and signed in with a Basic account. At first, the option wasn't there, but it immediately gave me the red prompt shown in the screenshots below. Tapping it brought me to a new page that allowed me to select JPG or HEIC, and after confirming, the option was available.

2019-03-22 22.36.37.png 2019-03-22 22.36.45.png 2019-03-22 22.32.16 (2).png

I'd suggest signing out of the app, deleting it from your device, rebooting the device and then reinstalling the app.

haru3
New member | Level 2

@Rich, 

Thanks for your help, I tried your suggestion, but I am still unable to find the "Save HEIC files as" under the Camera uploads settings with it turned on (with my main dropbox account).

I first tried signing out. Then I tried rebooting. Then I signed out, deleted app, rebooted, reinstalled, and signed in. None of those worked.

Then I tried signing in with someone else's dropbox basic account. It still wasn't showing up, BUT all of a sudden after leaving the phone for about 5 min, I got that red banner message at the top saying "Camera uploads has been paused" where then you can choose a JPG/HEIC setting, then it shows up in the camera uploads settings. 

So I logged back into mine, did everything the same as before, but no luck getting the red banner with my account logged in. I keep turning on/off all the camera upload settings, to try to trigger it, but doesn't work. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

haru3 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    rudidrop09 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?