cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have to go through re-install/configuration process after every Windows Update due to Bitlocker?

Have to go through re-install/configuration process after every Windows Update due to Bitlocker?

a305587
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I have Dropbox installed on my D:\ (data) drive on my machine. This drive is also protected by bitlocker.  I've noticed each time I perform a Windows update this drive locks through bitlocker which breaks the connection to Dropbox and requires me to unlock it. 

Fine, not a problem. 

But Dropbox sends me through the entire log back in, re-configure the smart sync versus online-only, it goes through a re-index process which ties up cpu and memory for a bit each time (almost every other week at this point).

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue, is this expected behavior, and is there a way to bypass this process each time and perhaps help Dropbox automatically restart and maybe remembering what it had so it does not have to re-initialize/re-index files so it does not require tying up cpu and memory?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Have to go through re-install/configuration process after every Windows Update due to Bitlocker?

Megan
Dropboxer

Hey @a305587, happy Friday! 

As a first step, could you please let me know if you're able to temporarily close or disable BitLocker by any chance? If not, can you add Dropbox to an ignore list so that the desktop app can launch and sync?

Please let me know if BitLocker auto-unlock is turned on for the drive your Dropbox folder is located on.

Let me know of any updates!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Re: Have to go through re-install/configuration process after every Windows Update due to Bitlocker?

Rich
Super User II

@a305587 wrote:

But Dropbox sends me through the entire log back in, re-configure the smart sync versus online-only, it goes through a re-index process ...

Curious... how many devices do you see on your Device List on the Security page? Is this computer listed more than once (I'm guessing it is). It sounds like Bitlocker might be changing just enough information about the drive that it makes Dropbox think that this is a different computer, thus forcing you to go through the link process. If this is the case, I'm betting you'll see a new entry on the device list for each time you've gone through this process.

a305587
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the lead, and good idea.  I checked and the machine is listed only once though. 

Megan
Dropboxer

Hey @a305587, happy Friday! 

As a first step, could you please let me know if you're able to temporarily close or disable BitLocker by any chance? If not, can you add Dropbox to an ignore list so that the desktop app can launch and sync?

Please let me know if BitLocker auto-unlock is turned on for the drive your Dropbox folder is located on.

Let me know of any updates!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

a305587
New member | Level 2

Thank you Lori, you pointed me in a helpful direction.

In Bitlocker settings auto-unlock was *not* enabled.  I am hoping that will solve these problems I am having.  So yes, not a Dropbox symptom although I was dealing with a result.  Mea culpa. 

I am able to completely disable Bitlocker but the hope was to make these two applications play nicely together with minimal intervention from me on a routine basis.  Let's hope this does the trick. 

Thank you!

Megan
Dropboxer
Any time @a305587

If anything else comes up, you know where to find us, enjoy your week!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropboxer
    a305587 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?