cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having issues with syncing files from Lightroom

Having issues with syncing files from Lightroom

peterbee
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I recently upgraded to Dropbox Plus. I use Adobe Lightroom 6. Since my upgrade I have been having problems with it.  I go into the program and it is very clunky.  After a minute or two I get the message: Lightroom encountered an error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit.  It will try to find a solution to this problem next time it opens."  Then it closes down.

Then I notice that Dropbox has started a syncing operation with about 11000 files - which I think is probably my pictures.

I go to my Web Dropbox and when I click on Deleted Files I see that Dropbox has deleted the preview cache.  I restore the deleted file and the syncing operation stops and I am up to date.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Currently, there's no option to do this, but I do understand how important this is for you and thank you for your feedback on this. 

If anything else comes up in the future, just give us another shout and we'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible.

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hello @peterbee, let's see what we can find on this. 

Could you let me know if you get the same experience if you do this after closing the desktop app?

Give it a try and let me know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

peterbee
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Lusil

Thanks for your interest in my problem.

I have closed the Desktop App (ie I have clicked on Quit and the window and icon have disappeared).  

Lightroom now seems to be working more smoothly and has not displayed the error message or closed itself down.

Does that help diagnose the problem?

Peter

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
It does, thanks a lot for trying that out, @peterbee.

It sounds like what you're experiencing in this case is expected, as the desktop app is trying to maintain a consistent structure to reflect the permissions that already exist in your Dropbox account.

As such, whenever you're editing such files, I'd recommend pausing the desktop app from syncing, and then resuming it after you've finished editing.

I know that this might not be the answer you're looking for, but let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks again!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

peterbee
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you very much Lusil.  That seems like a very practical workaround.

Just for the sake of completeness: is it possible to change permissions in my Dropbox account somehow so that this would not be necessary?

Peter

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Currently, there's no option to do this, but I do understand how important this is for you and thank you for your feedback on this. 

If anything else comes up in the future, just give us another shout and we'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    peterbee Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?