cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Hide or remove the 'horrible' menu bar dropbox icon on Mac.

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

Many users here use http://www.macbartender.com/

I know all my Mac's have it and will never be without it. They have a free trial. You have nothing to loose in giving it a shot. You may like it.

No I am not affiliated with the developer of Bartender, I am just a very grateful and passionate user of it.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi Tom, thanks for the suggestion.

However I still think that the ideal solution shouldnt be to spend more money "fixing" a situation that dropbox could easily remedy. I would rather they be considerate to their users screen estate and allow for the removal of the menu item.

As mentioned many of us use it only because other products use it for sync, so have no need to see it occupy valuable menu bar space!

If they need a place to change settings, preferences is a good enough spot.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

It would be worse if I have to install another application to just hide the icon of another application ..

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Yes, please provide an option to hide the icon.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I can't say the icon is horrible, in fact I like it, but I don't need it and would like to hide it from the menu bar. Please.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 10

Dima (and others who have mentioned it)

I actually keep the Dropbox icon in the menu bar (having changed it in Photoshop to something infinitely more useful).

HOWEVER ... if you Google 'Bartender', it's a piece of software that lets you manage your menu bar. You can basically choose to keep an icon either in the menu bar as now, or in Bartender's own menu bar that only appears when you click it, or remove it altogether.

(Now I see that others have already mentioned Bartender - above - but it would resolve the problem of all who want the icon removed.)

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

You shouldn't have to use a third party app for a simple solution 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi Chris! Thank you for the suggestion!! However, it's a workaround, it doesn't fix the issue itself. Moreover, Bartender is not free.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 10

Yes, you're right. However, it depends on what you think the issue is. 

For me, the issue is that Dropbox changed their icon from a useful blue to a crappy black & white. I therefore used Photoshop to change their icons into something more instantly recognisable.

For others, it's that Apple don't provide menubar management. 

So you either need to protest to Dropbox or Apple .... or both.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I've protested to both, though most other programs I have give me the option to turn the icon off. I do also write to other companies that do not include this option. I know what my minimum set is for what I need readily available through that access option, and keep my second-level needs bunched in a single access point. I believe we should be given the choice by each company, not forced (note that Apple provides this option for most of its icons, too—I couldn't find any without controls that I didn't want to control on or off).

I participated in this discussion to help highlight that a number of us users don't like the non-option, and I believe Dropbox has the greater responsibility. 

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?