cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High memory usage is unsolvable

High memory usage is unsolvable

hikkuto
Helpful | Level 6

I really like Dropbox, more than Google Drive. But it is in the past. I prefer Google Drive now. What I really hate about Dropbox is the high memory usage. I already tried to uninstall and reinstall, but it is gotten worse. Even doing nothing, the used memory is around 290-300MB, and now after reinstalling, it can even exceed 400MB. The "Dropbox preferences (32-bit)" process eats the most memory.  My files are around 65.000 and saved inside "D:\Documents.Cloud\Dropbox\". In my Windows 11, Dropbox is the second-highest memory usage after the browser (with many opened tabs). Why is it still not yet solved, even after years and many users are complaining about it?

hikkuto_3-1634184543708.png

8 Replies 8

hikkuto
Helpful | Level 6

I also already tried to check whether there are symlinks in the Dropbox folder, but there is nothing with the following codes.

Get-ChildItem -Path "D:\Documents.Cloud\Dropbox\" -Force |
    Where-Object { $_.LinkType -ne $null -or $_.Attributes -match "ReparsePoint" } |
    ft FullName,Length,Attributes,Linktype,Target

and

dir /AL /S D:\Documents.Cloud\Dropbox\

I used to have one that points to a folder inside Dropbox, but I did not create any symlinks after a clean installation of Windows. My Windows installation is also due to another problem with Dropbox that won't show thumbnails.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @hikkuto, I hope you're doing well!

As a first troubleshooting step, it'd be nice if you had a look at this Help Center article. 

Also, feel free to let me know the version and syncing status of your app. 

Can you check, and keep me posted? 

Thanks!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

hikkuto
Helpful | Level 6

My Dropbox version is v133.4.4089. There is no conflict, not uploading/downloading, or whatsoever, and the files are all synced.

hikkuto_0-1634262685739.png

I also deleted any desktop.ini, thumbs.db, temp files started with ~$.

Quit and rerun the Dropbox, but it still takes 324MB.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for the info, @hikkuto

Can you maybe try these steps?

If you're still having trouble with it though, don't hesitate to give us another nudge, and we'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

hikkuto
Helpful | Level 6
Yes, I already read and tried that a few times, even before posting here. It still didn't fix the memory usage.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
No worries, @hikkuto.

Would it be OK if I reached out via the email that's connected to your profile here to have a further look internally?

Let me know and we'll take it from there.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

hikkuto
Helpful | Level 6

Finally, as a workaround, the problem is "solved" by switching to OneDrive that only takes 5-30MB and uninstalled Dropbox since Dropbox takes 200-300MB. I don't need sophisticated features, only need to sync/backup files including selective folders and automatic save screenshots. Besides, I already have Google Drive running on my laptop that also takes a lot of RAM. The RAM is much needed for me for something else since 16GB is not enough for me and I cannot upgrade the RAM. Dropbox will be used on my PC with 64GB of RAM. If I need Dropbox on my laptop, I will use the web version instead of the desktop until someday Dropbox "fix" and reduce the memory usage. 

McSpeedmouse
Helpful | Level 5

Dear Dropboxxers,

I notice this scheme in several posts and requests for help: first try to trick people into CPU usage and nr of files being synced - asking for app version (while it auto-updates in fact) and finally asking to contact helpdesk by mail.

Unfortunately nowhere a real solution.

Should we massively jumpt o OneDrive and GoogleDrive or is Dropbox actually stepping up to the task?

i'd gladly accept and implement the solution, being a 10years loyal user.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

McSpeedmouse Helpful | Level 5
    hikkuto Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?