cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Annoying Has Dropbox Become!

How Annoying Has Dropbox Become!

Ian C.2
Helpful | Level 6

With my account, Dropbox regularly (possibly on auto updates) ignore my Preferences setting and switch on their terrible user interface, rather than let me just use the Finder. I have to keep going in to their Preferences to turn it back off.

The worst thing they have done recently is when you install the client it has the default setting of backup your Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders. These tick boxes are also not that visible in the install process. It can break existing links that people have to their files! This so confuses newbies that they try and fix it by quitting dropbox, hacking away and then losing countless files.
I can’t believe they have done this.

The install of the client also nags you to turn on SmartSync, which I hate and really doesn’t work well, even for those who need it, e.g. because of small drives. Their nag includes things like Not Enough Space for Local Storage Option, even when I know there is. If you persist, it does at least do it. Sigh.

Lots of other little things. Like you have to hunt around to find the beta that works with Apple Silicon (it does work fine).

Why does this sort of thing happen to every successful company?

2 Replies 2

Re: How Annoying Has Dropbox Become!

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @Ian C.2; thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on our Community!

I just wanted to thank you for your feedback about our desktop application and if you'd like assistance with anything I would be glad to look into this with account and device specific information. 

Just give me a nudge here and we'll take it from there, Ian. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: How Annoying Has Dropbox Become!

Mjmare
New member | Level 2

Your message completely mirrors my experience with the current Dropbox app. DB used to be a focused, lithe tool. The current DB has become a heap of unwanted and intrusive functions. Even worse, functions are badly implemented giving rise to bugs and subpar performance. And don't think of contacting tech support. I made the mistake of contacting them when I experienced very slow sync (despite new system and 500 Mb/s connection). Totally useless stock responses. I have given up.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?