cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Re: How can I completely disable Smart Sync?

How can I completely disable Smart Sync?

Whatever2018
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How can I completely, 100%, disable Smart Sync so that Dropbox will always download all of my files?

The settings I have found all apply to NEW files and seem to have no impact on old files.

What I would like is to set my Dropbox to behave as if Smart Sync does not exist or has ever existed.

66 Replies 66

pspahn
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I couldn't agree more. "Smart" Sync is absolutely stupid! Very bad job, Dropbox!

JB M.2
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

The instructions to OPT OUT do work ----- But my concern is that they (DB) may automatically turn is on.

Afterall this "enhancement" was installed w/o telling us that it is on and we have to manually turn it off. Another "enhancement" we didn't ask for nor want!

They just don't care about the customer base or ask our opinions. "They thinl they are our government & they know better. Same results!

SmartSyncBad11
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Couldn't agree more. An appalling feature. Unwanted and a nightmare to get round. Completely idiotic.

JB M.2
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I randomly check to make sure the "extension" optiion remains OFF. What a time consuming nightmare after I found they turned it on W/O telling me / us.

I suggested they survey the users asking who - if any - actually understand & use this useless option.

Since they don't seem to ever listen to anything this community mentions, they probably will also ignore this comment.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey peeps, just dropping in here for an update.

If you have turned off the system extension @JB M.2, then it shouldn't be turned back on again by Dropbox without your input.

If you notice this occur again, then please don't hesitate to reach back out to me here and I'd be happy to look into this in more detail with you.

We do our best to monitor all the comments and feedback that we receive here on the Community, whether it's positive or negative.

I'm only a post away if anyone has any questions about this.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JB M.2
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Daphne:

OK, per your comment, I STILL HAVE TO BE WATCHING YOU (DB) - how else will I know if you turn this STUPID  option back on AGAIN, either by MISTAKE (YOU) or delibertly AGAIN w/o my permission?

Why can't you just let "US" control local copies with "Selective sync"? Like it was before you added this "enhancement horror"?

You didn't answer my suggestion to query the community to see if:

1) Anyone actually uses it.

2) How many want it removed to pervent it ever being activated.

You say you (DB) monitor these communitiy comments, BUT does DB react to them?

Lastly - notice I'm not complainin about the price increase unlike SO many others, BUT I pay less for other IT products (Micresoft, HP, etc.) and get phone support! ANY change we will gain this option W/O having to upgrade more?

JB

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey again @JB M.2.

While I can't guarantee what we can do in terms of surveying through the Community, I've made note of your suggestion about the idea.

I can't speak for everyone in terms of who uses and finds this feature useful as many people use Dropbox for different reasons and have different usage requirements.

It shouldn't be the case that the system extension would be turned on without your input after you have turned this option off, and this would definitely be unexpected.

Apologies for any inconvenience that this caused you.

At the moment, I don't have info to share about phone support with plans other than Business users, but you can always share this idea in our dedicated area of the forum.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us here, we really do appreciate it!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Martin T F.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Smart Synch was the "feature" that finally had me sit down one weekend afternoon and gradually shift the vast majority of my files from Dropbox to another cloud storage solution as my primary and preferred tool. 

The promise of Dropbox: A folder that's always got the same files, on all of my computers. This was was magical and all I ever wanted. It was the first cloud service I was willing to pay for, and I've had an account for a long time.

Various little additions came and went - Carousel for example - but these were adjacent to the product and even though I liked Carousel, it did not change the basic idea: a folder that's always got the same files, on all of my computers.

Paper came along. I tried it. It made a formatting mess of the documents I tried to edit, it rendered others horribly or not at all and nobody I sent an invitation to use paper to collaborate on a document even tried it. I've never gotten an invitation to collabarate on a document via "Paper".  Enough with "Paper." I get what paper is trying to do. But I have so many other good choices for collabaration. So I ignored Paper. Because I still had a folder that's always got the same files, on all of my computers, which is just want I wanted. Prices went up. Storage went up. I piled more files in. I came to rely on Dropbox when I was in airplanes, in hotels with terrible connectivity, when I was at a client site and we could not get on the Wifi. Becuase I  paid for Dropbox, I had a folder that's always got the same files, on all of my computers.  Selective synch came along, which was a good idea. I tried it, and it worked as I expected, selectively synching folders, as I specified, and leaving the rest alone. I still had a folder that's always got the same files, on all of my computers (excepting those I specifically and deliberately did not want).

Along comes Selective Synch and...well....it made decisions for me when I moved files around, especially when I uploaded a large set of files over the course of a weekend. My new 2TB limit was the ideal time to push a 161 GB libary of photos I use for my work  up to Dropbox.  I left a laptop at the office for a weekend, connected to nice fast fiber internet for better upload speed than I can get at home...the files successfuly copy from an external hard drive to a folder in my Dropbox. Synching begins. Synching completes. Days pass..

Maybe I should have RTFM or one of the of marketing emails that came out. Maybe there should have been a HUGE BLINKING WARNING THAT YOU ARE NOT ACTUALLY SYNCHING ALL YOUR FILES ANYMORE NO MATTER WHAT YOUR SELECTIVE SYNCH SETTINGS ARE.

But you see, I pay Dropbox to be a folder that's always got the same files, on all of your computers. So why would I think that could happen? 

There I was, I was on an airplane, on my way to The Big Meeting in a far-far away when I remembered that there was this perfect image set...from that time a few years ago...and now I have ALL The Photos on All My Computers and I want to use them as the opening for The Big Presentation....so because I pay for a folder that's always got the same files, on all of mycomputers, I simply navigate to that particular year..then sub-folder....and...the folders have an X on them - the icons are all there, but the actual files are not.

What?? WHAT?? Why?

I check Selective Synch. All folders are supposedly synching. But...but....the old files I just uploaded are "in the cloud" now..they will download as I need them.. I look out the window. The cloud is below me. I don't see my file. I land in another country in 4 hours. I present in 7 hours. There will be taxis and attempts to tether to my phone and bad hotel Wifi ahead when I land.  The wifi on the plane isn't working (this is not uncommon).  I wonder why I am paying Dropbox.

It is sad that so many great products try to grow by killing the essential thing that makes them great. There is one job Dropbox has to do before anything else. One job that is worth paying for. Give me a folder that's always got the same files, on all of my computers. Make that work, perfectly, always, and without exception, and I don't feel any problem paying for Dropbx. Fail - no, wait,  worse than fail - deliberately do not do that one job - then I'm left with nothing worth paying for. 

It was a great run, Dropbox, it really was. But this is just inexcuseably bad.

Cimbian
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The bottom line is that Smart Sync is a pile of dung!

Disk space is rarely a problem these days, so why worry about defaulting everything to get it off the local machine.

This garbage has cost me HOURS and all I wanted was what I had before!

Very poor show.

Cimbian
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It's actually worse than the roll-out of Windows 8 by MS... and that was appalling! 

Need more support?