cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I completely disable Smart Sync?

How can I completely disable Smart Sync?

Whatever2018
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How can I completely, 100%, disable Smart Sync so that Dropbox will always download all of my files?

The settings I have found all apply to NEW files and seem to have no impact on old files.

What I would like is to set my Dropbox to behave as if Smart Sync does not exist or has ever existed.

66 Replies 66

Erik Meijaard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It's all nice to Smart Sync when you have good online connectivity, but when you are doing field work in Borneo and find out that on your new laptop all files have been Smart Synced by default even though I turned Smart Sync off, that is seriously annoying. It means I cannot access most of my files, or each file takes 20 minutes to download on the slow connections here. Dropbox should remember that not everyone in the world is on fast internet. Opting out of Smart Sync should be the default with a large warning for people that Opting in might mean that they cannot access their files.

Erik

nogib001
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello DB community,

After many years of Dropboxing I decided to discontinue the service. Not because I don't like it or haven't had use of it, but because I'm using another solution instead which isn't subscription based.

Many years ago, I could simply move a file or folder out of Dropbox. Dropbox would then sync and I knew it was removed on Dropbox server with a sole copy available on the client unit (my MacBook Pro f.e.).

When I started the tedious task of taking all my files away from Dropbox, my first step was to move my files out of the Dropbox assigned folder (on this client I use the default folder location). A few years ago this would've meant that I removed them out of the Dropbox service and only had my files on the client (since I don't have them anywere else). I'm very cautious when I ready about technology such as Smart Sync, which I suspect is brillant once you really understand it, I understood that this would really cause me issues with knowing that my files are safe and sound on my client. Hence, I copied a few folders and files out of Dropbox (maybe 15GB's or so) and let it sync (without interruption).

I've now realized when I started this task that Dropbox hasn't been syncing what I've removed from the Dropbox folder, but rather made everyting online-only, which means I have 300GB of corrupted files.

Now to the question I have:

How do I simply get my stuff out of Dropbox using the System Extension in macOS, moving the files locally to a location on my client and then being 100% sure I have uncorrupted files on my drive? Right now I'm downloading .zips of my files from dropbox.com since its all, without my concent, online only.

Thankful for any help!

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

You may disable Smart sync altogether to make all files download locally to your hard drive (provided you have enough space to store all your Dropbox content locally). The settings should be found in the Preferencess... > General tab. https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/smart-sync

Alternatively, you can right click a folder and choose Smart sync > Local to download that folder, and then copy to your backup location. 

Nathan & Shelle
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

First of all, I love Dropbox.

Second of all, you have got to provide a way to turn off Smart Sync completely.

I see a bunch of posts here about this. Smart Sync is disabled in preferences, yet stuff is still being kept in the cloud and downloaded on demand.  Even if the folder and files are set to local-only.

This is screwing up so much stuff for me.

- files not present when i'm offline and wanting to work

- Ableton is not able to handle this well with music projects, all kinds of bad side effects and unpredictable results

- If Dropbox is running, Chrome randomly crashes Windows 10 so hard when I tried to open files in a Dropbox-managed folder via the Browse... dialog that I have to reboot my computer

- performance of file manager in Windows 10 is absolutely terrible now if Dropbox is running

I have plenty of space and want to have all my Dropbox files (~600GB) on my computer. 

I have all the Smart Sync options turned off and it's still "smart syncing" random files from the cloud at unpredictable times. What the hell. Just LET ME TURN IT OFF.

Thanks,

Hugs 'n' Kisses

nogib001
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Nathan & Shelle, I hope you're well today!

I've moved your post here so that I can ask you to take a look at Walter's post here for steps on how to completely disable Smart Sync on your computer.

Before doing so, I'd just suggest to ensure that everything is downloaded locally first. To do this easily, you right click the Dropbox folder and choose "Smart Sync - Local".

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bondzinho
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

what a nightmare this is. i have disabled the system extension and it still isnt loading my files. HELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPP 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @bondzinho; sorry to hear that and I'll be glad to help look into this. 

Can you forward me a screenshot of the desktop app's status as shown within your computer's system tray/menu bar and another one of the content of your Dropbox folder just to check the syncing icons on your files? 

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

JB M.2
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Why doesn't DB query all of us and ask WHO ACTUALLY UNDERSTANDS & USES THIS TERRIBLE OPTION. When you find out that NOONE does REMOVE IT FROM THE SYSTEM.   Selective sync is all anyone needs!

n10ae
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've only ever wanted Dropbox to act as a mirror on my local machine - so what I'm working on locally is automatically also online. A primary backup, and convenient way to access things while not at my main workstation. Great. 

But then they introduce 'smart sync' and even though I've never turned it on, never wanted to turn it on, there it is, offloading my files to unburden my local HDD. Great, now I have to fight to claw my files back when I need to do a mirror to other locations for backups. This is currently going to take 2+ days it tells me.

I guess in hindsight, don't rely on dropbox, and maybe just work outside of my dropbox folder, and make an additional mirror into it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Laurent R.5 New member | Level 2
    JB M.2 Collaborator | Level 9
    Cimbian Helpful | Level 6
    JOhn_12345 New member | Level 2
    mulko New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?