cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I completely disable Smart Sync?

How can I completely disable Smart Sync?

Whatever2018
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How can I completely, 100%, disable Smart Sync so that Dropbox will always download all of my files?

The settings I have found all apply to NEW files and seem to have no impact on old files.

What I would like is to set my Dropbox to behave as if Smart Sync does not exist or has ever existed.

66 Replies 66

JB M.2
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

It's  time to start calling it "Stupid Sync". Because it surely isn't smart when it causes SOOO much trouble & time wasting for we users".

wensleydale
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

mulko, I think one of us has misunderstood. It may well be me! But, fwiw, my understanding is that the instructions I linked to enable you to disable Smart Sync without disabling Selective Sync. I have had no further trouble since I did this.

mulko
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ok, I need to have a closer look at what the system extension actually does. I thought it was necessary for the interaction between Windows and Dropbox, but I may very well be the one who has misunderstood.

I'm probably going to switch to Microsoft OneDrive anyway. I have sufficient storage there included in my Office 365 subscription. I don't expect Microsoft to listen any more to their users than Dropbox does, but at least I won't be paying 120 usd extra per year.

Thanks for your help!

JOhn_12345
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This Smart Sync (better known a [profanity removed as per Community Guidelines] SYNC) Feature SUCKS BIG TIME.

Dropbox has been working well so far, until they introduce [profanity removed] SYNC!

Get this [profanity removed] out!

Cimbian
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I used to have about a 90% trust in Dropbox doing what I wanted/expected. This trust is lower than 50% right now and I'm gradually moving-over (parallel data storage) to OneDrive... and OneDrive has never been a favourite of mine.

JB M.2
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Everyone needs to start calling this option "STUPID SYNC" - As that is what it is!!

Laurent R.5
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We need a *simple* way to disable SmartSync.

This is a very confusing feature and I had to help friends and family to disable it entirely on new installs.

Pushing a feature people never asked for  without an easy way to disable it is the best way to antagonize your users.

Right now the workaround for new installs is to open the "Dropbox App" and find an hidden setting on the top folder to set smartsync to local. I'm not even sure as I'm typing this as on my system I disabled it all the way and I'm scared of enabling it back.

Give us the option to disable smartsync, or even better, to get the barebone original dropbox sync-only feature, without all the rest.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Laurent R.5 New member | Level 2
    JB M.2 Collaborator | Level 9
    Cimbian Helpful | Level 6
    JOhn_12345 New member | Level 2
    mulko New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?