cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Our Community can help you set up and make Dropbox work for you. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I disable DbxSvx.exe from running?

Explorer | Level 4

Hi! 

I'm using Dropbox on Windows 8.1, and today I disabled the "start dropbox on system startup" because I didn't find it necessary. However, after restarting the computer I noticed that the Dropbox Service called "DbxSvc.exe" located in the System32 folder is still running in task manager despite disabling Dropbox on startup. First, is this file something that is actually Dropbox's own and not some virus? I did check the digital signature and ran it through my virus detector, and everything seemed fine. I did notice that the file was first installed just this month, so it's quite new. Second, is there a way I can disable it so that it won't start when I start the computer?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: DbxSvc.exe still running

Super User II
Super User II
It is part of Dropbox. It's likely handling the automatic updates to the application. There's no setting or option that will prevent it from starting. If you don't want it to start, you'll need to prevent it from doing so manually.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
It is part of Dropbox. It's likely handling the automatic updates to the application. There's no setting or option that will prevent it from starting. If you don't want it to start, you'll need to prevent it from doing so manually.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Okay, thank you for the quick reply and the explanation! I did stop it manually, at least for now, but good to know it's supposed to be there

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Dbxsvc.exe does a lot more than "handling automatic updates to the application".  For example, if you put an SD card in your computer it starts a process to transfer photos, videos, and other contents of the SD card to Dropbox.  Interesting that there is "no setting or option" that will prevent it from starting and running in the background, monitoring what you do on your computer.  This includes setting Dropbox to "disabled" in Task Manager's Startup tab.  Even though users assume it is not running, because they have indicated that preference by setting Dropbox to disabled. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?